Marijuana, drug tests, surgery, etc.

Meghan R.
on 10/26/05 4:57 am - Tinley Park, IL
Hello I am new to the forum, but need some help and/or advice. I use marijuana regularly, have been for quite a long time now. Probably about 5-6 years of daily use or close to daily use. I stop intermittently, of course, and know that I am only mentally addicted, if even that to the herb. My question is not so much about addiction, but, I wanted to know if you have to undergo a drug test as part of the pre-op surgery checklist? I can stop, and will stop obviously if this is the case. Also, I was planning on stopping 2 weeks prior to my surgery (whenever that is-not sure yet). I always read about people who smoke cigarettes having to stop so I figured marijuana is in the same boat as that. I have just finished my 12 month program, and will be submitted for insurance approval w/in a week. If any of you know about the drug tests, etc. please reply. I read something abuot a carbon monoxide test or some thing?? thanks clueless
PaulaR
on 10/27/05 10:56 am - Windsor, Canada
I have never heard of testing for the drugs.. just basic tests make sure you are not prego.. your heart your lungs your body is in order.. nothing to serious.. make sure you know what u are in for, the negatives of having the surgery, make sure you know what is involved. Good luck Paula
Meghan R.
on 10/28/05 6:15 am - Tinley Park, IL
Thanks Paula for your response, I know on my pre op check list it said urinalysis. Also, I've been researching surgery for 3+ years now, as well as completed an intensive program for the last 12 months with a nutrionist, dietician, therapist and personal trainer. I feel I know the risks and benefits inside and out...but I am sure, as with all things, you can never know every thing. Thanks again for teh support and answers.
monica420
on 12/15/05 3:47 pm - El Paso, TX
They only test you for pregnancy
Kelly S.
on 4/24/07 12:01 pm - Oswego, NY
I was never tested for drugs prior to the surgery, but did stop smoking marijuana 1 month before my surgery because they recommend you stop smoking cigs at least one month before hand. I am 3 months out now and doing great but wonder when I can light up again. Anyone know when it's safe to start smoking again after surgery?
lady_deedlit
on 6/20/07 10:12 am - NJ
Can we revisit this question? This has really been bothering me but I am too scared to ask my doctor about this as I am afraid he will pass judgement.
Telbereth
on 8/28/07 8:10 am - SW , MO
Easy for me to say but the most important reason to stop at least one month or more before surgery is because of the impact it has on healing and infections. They don't want you to stop to save your lungs...maybe longterm...but the shortterm effect is that smoking really raises heal with your healing.  That's why many docs will due a nicotine or other test b4 surgery.  It's not the cannabanoids its the actual other smoke byproducts that they are primarily concerned about.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views