I can't quit...smoking

Kristine T.
on 9/14/05 3:20 am - Fargo, ND
I have surgery on 09/26/05 and pre op on 09/23/05 the surgeon reqs that you take a carboxy test which test your blood for carbon dioxide I think it basically breaks down to whether or not you are smoking because they tell you to quit smoking a month before surgery its been an on and off thing for me I quit for 4-5 days and then I am back at it. Help what do I do, You can't gain any weight, even 1 lb before surgery and I am 3 lbs over, I quit smoking I start eating and vice versa I am reeady to explode...I have tried patches, nictrol inhaler, gum and of course food!!!!! Any suggestions, I don;t want my surgery to get rescheduled, I thought this would be easy.......It is so hard!
Paula W
on 9/19/05 1:07 am - Harrison Twp, MI
I know what you mean Kris, I to quit for 10 months and I'm back at it again. They do have out Commit Losages I would suck on them at least for now. I know people have smoked on there way to have surgery then after. I'm due for lapband surgery the day after you and I do have to do something right now, I'm afraid they will give me the test also. Good luck and I really mean that. Maybe get hyponatized for right now....Paula
canadaguy
on 10/9/05 1:43 am - Edmonton, Canada
Hello Kristine, I know how you feel with the smoking issue. My doc told me point blank, "quit or no surgery"!! Now think of that for a second. You gonna let some stupid tobacco product stop you from having a life changing surgery? I asked myself that alot. ans I decided on NOT A Fricken CHANCE!! So i packed it in, I started to chew the nicorette gum, and only really chewed for about a week, then my craving stopped. Ive now been off them for 10 weeks and post opp 6 days. Sure i think about smoking still, but i really don't miss it. So for your sake, REALLY THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT MORE, A SMOKE? OR A HUGE HUGE CHANGE IN YOUR LIFE? IF YOU WANT THE SECOND ONE, U GONNA LET CIGARETTES STOP YOU? I SURE HOPE NOT!!! Stay strong, it isn't easy, but it can be done. Will H
monica420
on 12/15/05 4:08 pm - El Paso, TX
Are you still smoking? If so, I can definitely recommend using the patch AND gum AND Zyban at the same time. Plus, keep yourself as busy as possible. Cravings go away in about 10 minutes whether you smoke or not. Keep waiting out cravings, then they start coming less often, until you go a month without thinking about it. It can be done, when you're really ready to do it. Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views