afraid my psych history will stop my surgery

Medicmomma
on 11/4/12 7:23 am - Clear Lake, MN

I have not had my consultation yet but I am afraid that they will not do the surgery with my history. I have been on and off meds since i was 13 (27 now). Main issues are severe depression, borderline personality, anxiety, and PTSD.  Last dec had a break and was hospitalized and have been up and down since. Did anyone have any problems with their history? Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

swoozieq67
on 11/11/12 11:57 pm - MI
RNY on 04/25/12

I felt the same way when it was time for my psych evaluation. Don't stress over it.

The psychiatrist will most likely ask you questions about your health and mental health history, be honest. They will also ask you about the type of WLS that you are going to have. They will ask you if you understand the lifestyle changes, what do you expect your outcome to be after surgery and so on.

They generally want to make sure that you understand the procedure, the reason for the surgery and that you know about all of the changes that you will need to make.

Good luck and keep me posted.

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/13 7:24 am - WA
This is true. The doc wanted to make sure I understood the surgery and lifestyle impact and how I managed my Bipolar I. Even after hospitalization I got approved no problem after explaining how my husband and I cope with my illness and my reasonable expectations of life after surgery.
ElleBW
on 2/11/13 9:08 am - WA

I'm curious to see how it went? I got a clean bill on my evaluation, but wish I hadn't had the surgery since it made my psych issues flare/worse. Hope you are well.

Elle

Elle BW
Be kinder than necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some sort of battle.                                                                                        
                                                                                               Paulo Coelho    

smallisland
on 6/6/13 6:50 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Hello,

Believe it or not I have exactly the same diagnosis' as yourself...I mean exactly... Well i made it through everyone...the Nut, RN and SW but then she took my file to rounds.  The surgeons initially said no way ...and I haven't had a  flare up in over two years and not a really bad one for 5 years.  I had a very supportive letter from my psychiatrist and then they said maybe.  They brought me in to talk to the SW again and they offered me a choice of the surgery or the medical program.  I still haven't decided.  They are sending me on to the surgeon...I want to try and get the sleeve so my med's absorption isn't as much of an issue.  But ultimately my surgeon makes the choice.  So now I wait to see him.  My psychiatrist is even offering to transfer me to my own hospital for observation after the surgery so any adjustments can be made to the med's.  So long story short....I have to make a decision and they are "encouraging" me to do the medical program.  It is not a nice place  to be in...now i am really torn .... What to do, what to do??????

S

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views