Worried...

lacey8302
on 8/4/11 11:24 pm
Hey everyone!  I am new to all of this, so here's a little background info: I started seeing my surgeon about 3 months ago and was put on the pre-op diet for 6 months (because of my insurance requirements).  So far, I've lost about 42 pounds! Yay! Everything is going well, but I still need to have my psychiatric evaluation sometime within the next 3 months. I'm putting it off because I have suffered from depression for many years now. I have been doing great for the past 6 years! No problems at all!  However, six years ago I went through some major things and just had a breakdown and was hospitalized in a psychiatric hospital for about 5 days.  It was voluntary, so I think that makes it a little better. Anyway, on the doctor's report when I was discharged, one of the main reasons listed for my visit was morbid obesity.  I think it all points to why I *should* have surgery, but I just worry that it will prevent me from being approved for it because all doctors see is that I've been hospitalized.  I know I can't lie on the evaluation because if I did, it might ruin my chances altogether.  Does anyone know someone who's been in this situation before?  I just need some encouragement and maybe some tips at how to handle it.  Thanks a lot!!!
Chaya18
on 8/5/11 7:39 am
Hi,
  I was in exactly the same boat as you are in right now.  I had planned on having my surgery last year.  But because I had had a hospitalization in 2009 for a medication change I was told that I had to wait.

I was told the cut-off is one year. I was frustrated because it was a med change due to an allergic reaction and I didn't really think they should count that but those are the rules.

However, another year has passed, no hospitalization and now my surgery is scheduled for two weeks from now. So it all kind of worked out it just took longer than I thought.

I think that if you are six years out you will probably be fine. The psychiatric eval that I had to have for the pre-op clearance was mostly to reassure them that I was medication compliant.

My worry at this point is how my meds will be affected by the weight loss but my Dr. and therapist both will be on the lookout for problems. It is hard though to feel as though you have to battle harder for approval because of a mental illness, when often the surgery might help things a little.
StayStrong
on 8/7/11 12:37 pm - Canada
Hello. I have not been hospitalized and I can only speak for myself. You are on the right track in not lying about your situation; it would only hurt your chances of having the surgery. With the experiences you've had, I can assume that you are still under your doctor's care and are being monitored closely? Even though things have been going very well for you the past 6 years I would suggest getting some counselling now to prepare you for the future changes. If you are doing these things then those who make the decisions regarding surgery approval will see that you are being proactive and responsible.

I wish I had counselling before, during and after (I am 1 1/2 years post-op). I am finally getting some of that help I need, because my meds aren't enough. Plus, even though the surgery and subsequent weight loss feel great, it's still a battle at times to cope with the emotions. Having the surgery was the best thing for me and I'm so glad I did it! Now, I need to make sure I do the next best thing: take care of the rest of the package!!

Remember to get your support lined up and start taking advantage of it well ahead of your appointments (family doctor monitoring, regular meds checks, counselling...). If it is on the record that you are active in your own well-being, you are already a success!

Good luck!
To become learned, each day add something. To become enlightened, each day drop something. (Lao Tzu)
Highest Weight: 293lbs         Surgery Weight: 266lbs (Mar. 1/10)
Current Weight: 205lbs         Goal Weight: 170lbs

Curious G.
on 9/11/11 11:27 pm - Peachtree City, GA
I can't speak to what will or won't disqualify you for surgery but I can speak to having psychiatric diagnoses and getting WLS.  My insurance did not require a psych eval but I wish to hell they had and I wish they had prepared me for what would happen post op.

I've been in and out of therapy all my life, suffered from eating disorders, all sorts of issues, panic attacks, chronic depression, ptsd...

Then I got the surgery.  The weight came off but I had lost my best friend and my drug of choice - food.  I was so depressed and didn't understand why I wasn't just thrilled that the weight was coming off.  I began drinking.  There is a history of alcoholism in my family, but I had this under control.  Because you absorb alcohol muchc more quickly with a rny, it doesn't take much to get you drunk.  I always dran****il I blaccked out.  I became an every day drinker.  I became an alcoholic.  After a terrible series of events, I got into recovery for that in 2006.

Flash foward to today.  I'm malnourished, anemic, down to about 103  (goal was 135) and I think I've developed an eating disorder.  I can't seem to make myself put on the few pounds I need to look healthy again.  The brain boogeyman is in there.

I see professionals.. therapists, psychiatrists, doctors.  We're working through all of this stuff, but basically I just wanted to be a voice of reason when you guys balk at the psych eval stuff.  There are some very real risks of transferrence of addiction when you are a food addicct and get the surgery.  They need to know how to help us or if even having the surgery is a good idea.  My psych would probably not have signed off on the surgery due to my eating disorder history....  So that's a moot point..  :)

I wish you well in your journey - and just know that the wls is only the beginning of the changes....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 767 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 748 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 974 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1679 views