Alcoholism

Lisanelson_2
on 4/21/11 7:48 am - Salt Lake City, UT
 This is a huge problem.  I just posted about the blog I write at http://www.itsnotaddictiontransfer.wordpress.com.   Upwards of 30% of patients have developed this and the rate of suicide is through the roof compared with the general population.    I am writing a book about this phenomena and what you can do about it.  I am convinced it is caused in large part from malnutrition caused my malabsorption.  I am going to guess you had the Roux-en-Y not the Lap-Band or some other type of bypassing procedure.   My blog links you to the scientific papers you can take to your doctor where it shows this surgery causes nutrient deficiencies even with supplementation.   Most doctors are unaware of the behavioral symptoms of nutrient deficiencies, how B-vitamin deficiencies mimic dementia, how other deficiencies causes aggression, or rapid heartbeat that presents as "panic attack" that you may medicate with alcohol.

From your post I can't tell if you are having a drinking problem, but if you are, you need to re-nourish yourself with nutrients (see blog) and stop drinking.  You may need professional assistance to stop drinking and there are some effective medications that you can ask your doctor about to see if they are appropriate for you.   Ask about Naltexone, and Topamax.   They also have Antabuse but my recovering friends did not speak highly about it.   That is a discussion for you and your doctor.  It is important to find a doctor that you can develop a good relationship with to have frank discussions with.   Best of luck to you and if you want to email me offline my email is [email protected].
Binda
on 4/26/11 2:25 pm - CA
I'm in recovery - almost 7 years. Alcohol kicked my ass and I ended up in AA at 19 but didn't give it up til 2001. Relapsed on some vicodin in 2004 and have been clean/sober since then. I can tell you that taking pain meds post RNY is vastly different than taking it before surgery...it hit me harder and scared the **** out of me. My experience with pain meds post RNY makes me not want to have breast surgery or panni surgery. (and the pain)

I go to AA meetings 3-4 times a week and a Pills Anonymous meeting that is in our area.

Saved my ass. I can't imagine any other way of life. There's a ton of people in AA who developed alcoholism AFTER surgery.

You're not alone, get help and get sober.

Peace
Binda

I have wasted enough of my life worrying about what people think of me.

wharffrat
on 5/12/11 1:01 pm - NJ
I just celebrated 21 years of sobriety on May 10th.
I am scheduled for LapBand Surgery on 6/1/2011.

I have shared with my friends in recovery and my doctors about my sobriety.

I have had kidney stones in the past, and needed pain meds.
But with the right intentions, help of friends and my high power, it did not cause me to fall into a relapse.

I am happy to see there are other FOBs  (Friends of Bill) here on this forum.

And if you have a problem or think you may or just want to talk about it, drop me a line...

Keep It Simple,

Chuck
341lbs start journey weight / 325 lbs surgery day weight    
Realize Band Surgery preformed on  6/1/2011
My sharing here on OH is from my own experience, strength, & hope.  I am not a medical professional.  Doctors and medical professional know best and their directions should be followed.

RHONDA FROM KY
on 5/13/11 4:58 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
I had a problem prior too.. but it escalated after WLS (RNY).  I have been sober since November 2006..   by the grace of God. 

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

Kaitlin D.
on 6/4/11 9:42 am
Yes! I'm 21 and currently in outpatient rehab for alchohol addiction. I went to detox, and was medically cleared. Ive been sober for almost a week now ... I know this is going to be a long journey. Ive always had an addictive personality along with bi-polar, and borderline personality. Im happy to see im not alone here.

If you want to get somewhere you have to know where you want to go and how to get there. Then never, never, never, give up!

HW/256 SW/248 CW/137 GW/140

*goal reached in 8 months*

* Proud Mommy to Parker Joseph 4/27/13 *

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety