emotional rollarcoaster

Farmgirl58
on 2/25/11 12:40 am - AL
Hello dear friends, not sure if this is the site I need to refer to on occassion, but am having a really bad time with depression and emotional eating...
I have had the realize band surgery almost two years ago, needed to lose approx 115 lbs...so far have lost about 58.  By this date I should have had at least 75% of my excess weight off, but due to emotional problems and LIFE, have been at a platue for over 6 months.
What I am looking for is a sounding board to vent my frustrations, disappointments and failures in life.  I am having problems with work, relationships, and most of all finances.  I broke down in my doctors office yesterday, and they were really great folks.  They listened and got me an appointment to see a psychologist who specializes in WLS emotional problems.  I wake up crying, go to bed crying, have sad thoughts during the day and start crying...I HATE FEELING THIS WAY!! 
I will be seeing the psyc. this coming week.  But I do need a venting formun to get stuff off my mind...seems like thoughts and feelings get stuck and  can't let go! 
Thank you for listening.  I am sure this too shall pass like gas! LOL
Farmgirl58
RHONDA FROM KY
on 2/26/11 10:52 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
(((( Farmgirl58 ))))  vent away if you like..  others on here may or may not jump in.  Sorry you are having such a struggle.  I hope/pray that your appointment with the psychologist helps greatly.  I think that is was very wise to open up to your physician and allow them to help you.. even if it was a break down and maybe not your intent.   You are not alone.. many of us have a hard time adjusting to LIFE and what it brings to us.  A cry out for help is NEVER anything to be ashamed of, but actually an act of COURAGE!

~~hugsss~~

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

nfarris79
on 2/28/11 12:50 am - Germantown, MD
 First, I congratulate you for seeking help! It's a big step to acknowledge something's wrong and takes a strong person to seek that help. 
Second, it is important to have realistic expectations of yourself. Too often I see people put way too much pressure on themselves. That's different from taking ownership - e.g. "I know I eat emotionally", "I've been sabatoging my own process". Celebrate the 58 pounds and be proud you've gotten that far! I'd encourage you to check in with your surgeon or have another consult, to make sure the band is still doing right. 
Do you think it's entirely emotional problems that are hindering your goals? Do you feel like you're keeping up on diet/exercise? Sometimes it's a vicious cycle - feel bad b/c of life situations, then slip on the diet/physical, then feel worse about slipping... Sitting back on feeling bad isn't going to break you out of that cycle. When we slip up, question "what did I learn from this? what will I do going forward?". 
Thoughts create feelings. If you want to feel more hopeful & positive, be aware of the trend of your thoughts and subsitute negative or unrealistic thoughts for positive & action-oriented thoughts. I'm sure you'll hear this from your therapist, but just putting this out to you via support.
Good luck & keep your head held high!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Farmgirl58
on 3/2/11 5:02 am - AL
Hello my OH support friend...question, were you sitting in the psychologist office today with me? LOL  What you just told me was what he was telling me this morning...I have had low self esteem problems, lack of self confidence and feeling low off and on most of my adult life.  I have gotten help for it before, and something triggered it these past few months...finally caught up with me. That is when I decided I could not deal with it alone.  Thank you for your insight...very smart lady! I am half way to goal and don't want to fail at reaching it again....I never seem to get there, but this time I am going to be anormal weight woman again..just took a detour! LOL
Yes, it is a big step toadmit one has a problem that cannot be tackled or dealt with alone.  Now the work has to be done to get back to some sort of normalcy, what ever that might be.  I really like coming to the OH site, as there are a lot of folks going through the same stuff we are and it is good we can offer support. 
Thank you for being there.  Bless you.
Sheila
Patricia R.
on 2/28/11 7:56 pm - Perry, MI
You are on the right path.  Food, for me, is a drug, just like alcohol and heroin.  When I stopped drinking, I was an emotional wreck, and began to overeat more.  When I had my WLS, after the first 100 pounds, and year post-op, I relapsed on the alcohol.  I have been sober a year now, and need to get rid of the 40 pounds I have regained, and lose a total of 60 pounds altogether to reach my original goal.  I first lost 100 pounds and then regained back that 40. 

Seeing a psychologist is a great start.  Ask that psychologist if you should have a psychiatric evaluation for meds.  Also, how is your exercise program?  Rigorous exercise releases endorphins, which help us feel good.  That also helps suppress the  appetite.  Finally, do you participate in a support group, like at the hospital where you had your surgery?  That is also an excellent resource, of which I also need to get back to.

Keep posting whenever you need to.

Big Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Farmgirl58
on 3/2/11 4:54 am - AL
Trish, thank you for your wonderful words of encouragement.  I just got home from seeing the psycholoist....something has triggered this vicious cycle I am on and he says if I stick with him, we will get to the bottom of it....yes, food can be a bad addiction...and when I am feeling low, I grab for stuff I should not eat...try not to keep it in the house, but I always manage to find somethig!  I am in an excercise program and yes it does help.   I also push myself to get out and walk on the farm once or twice a week, very hilly and that seems to calm my nerves.  As for a support group, I keep forgetting when they meet...I had my surgery done in Mobile (2 1/2 hr drive) as that was he closest hospital that did bariatric surgery.  Since then Meridian, Ms which is 35 miles up the road has started doing lap band surgery and they have a support group.  The few times I attended they didnt' address issues that seem to be problems....so I am not sure that group will help me, but I do need to go back...just have to call and find out when and where they are meeting  now.
I do like the OH site, as everyone on here has been there and done that!  A lot of great folks going through a lot of the same stuff we are going through.  A great support system.
Good luck and best wishes on your success!
Again thank you for your support. Sheila
Kitty C
on 3/4/11 8:29 am
Farmgirl58
on 3/6/11 12:57 am - AL
Hello Kitty, good to hear from you.  Yes it has been a rocky 5 months.  I did see a psychologist, not sure how long I will contine seeing him, seems a little strange, but most of them are.  I guessI would be too listening to peoples' problems all day long! 
Right now feel pretty good mentally, but there are days I do just fine, then bamm!  I have a bad day and cry a lot.  Relationship with my fella frend is somewhat strained due to his dumb ass, and my finances are in deep kemchee right now which has really put me into a tail spin.  Seemed like everything came crashing on me at the same time.  Also turning 60 didnt' help much, but have gotten through that phase and am adjusting ok.  All I can do is take it one day at a time.  Also have a vit. D deficientcy...don't know how that came about...get plenty of outdoor time, drink lots of milk, etc....could be related to my thyroid...possibly parathyroid.  Will see the family doc this coming wed.  I looked up all the symptoms for parathyroid problems and I have all of them!    So, hopefully things will smooth out with time and God....he knows what is best for me. 
Hope all is going well with you...how are you doing with maintance? 
Hope to hear from you soon, Your friend, Sheila
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 767 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 748 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 974 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1679 views