wellbutrin vs wellbutrin sr or bupropion

robinfrommilw
on 1/26/11 10:30 am - WI

anyone have try wellbutrin or the generic bupropion? The doctor wrote for the wellbutrin SR 150 mg but recall online that RNY patients should not take any meds are XR or SR am I am right. And many times insurance companies don't want to pay for the longer acting because it is more costly as well.

so I ask to see the dr again to question him about it and he change it to the regular wellbutrin 100 mg twice a day. Walgreens gave me the generic buprupion 100 mg bid. They said side effect could make me tired. Dr told me it helps with weight loss or keeping it off because it does not increase your appetite. I told him I didn't want one that would make me gain weight I use to be on years ago zoloft and prozac omg big weight gainers. He also refill my phentermine. But that will probably be my last month of it because once I am under 150 I am back in the normal range and he can't prescribe once in normal range. So hoping the wellbutrin will help control my eating and start making me feel better about myself. So I stop stressing over gaining weight back. I been so withdrawn lately. Even have no interest in exercise or just don't have any energy to do it. Either I can't sleep or all I want to do is sleep. This is not like me. So hoping that others can share there experience. I was suprise he want to put me on the SR without first trying the regular first. weird

I had reach goal back in August of 135 then when I gain weight back I was put on phentermine which I was able to lose but just couldn't get back to the 135 no matter how much I exercise. but he told me once I was under 25 bmi he wasn't able to write a prescription. so the next month I would gain weight back and was back on it again. And that is the route I been going thru. I want something that is going to stablize my mood, and to control my eating. I will be 18 months out on this Friday. I am also on limitations since christmas due to laser and sclerotherapy ended up with 2 blood clots and skin damage. I am wearing a unno boot. I still have more procedures to do yet but cant right now I have to heal I was given permission to start slowly with exercise but now I dont' have the urge to do so. I am so tired all the time. Either i can't sleep or all I want to do is sleep. I am so frustrated. So I am hoping the generic wellbutrin will help with my mood and help me lose the rest of the weight and then stay in maintance

How long does the malaborpation last? I am 18 months out do I still need to be concern about medications like the extended release sr or xl? should I play it on the safe side and stay with the regular form twice a day. I am glad I got it change before I got to walgreens and had it filled.

But did some searching on here and seeing that others are taking the SR so not sure if I am doing the right thing or not. i want to be able to lose the rest of the weight and keep it off and be happy again. so abit confused on if the regular or sr works better to keeping the weight off. He first wrote for 150 mg for the sr but then at my request change to 100 mg twice a day because I was seeing online that we can't absorb the xr, xl or sr so gets so confusing

I put this on the main board and rny board but no replies so saw there was a mental health one and figure I would give it a try. so hopefully someone can help me understand how all this works. I hope I did the right thing by getting the regular bupropian instead of the sr. since he was only going to start the sr just in the am not sure why once a day when it can be done twice a day.
Robin from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Distal gastric bypass 7/28/09
6 month supervised diet done lost over 50 lbs pre-surgery
My facebook page is:
www.facebook.com/robinfrommilwaukee  (just put that you are from OH in message to add you to my facebook)     
       View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

August 2010 weight 138 lbs lost of 179.5 lbs but gain again since my gallbladder surgery Oct 2010 range recentlly my weight got up to 166 and I was in freak mode. I am now down to 152.6 hoping to get back to 135 and started generic wellbutrin

Patricia R.
on 1/26/11 8:38 pm - Perry, MI
A lot of your questions are good ones, but I don't know that any of us can answer them.  The best person to ask would be your surgeon.  I wish I could help you more.

Congratulations on your weight loss.  You did wonderfully.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

MSW will not settle
on 2/10/11 11:51 am
I took wellbutrin 150 for years pre op and post op.  Generic buproprion, brand name, extended release and regular.  I have not had an issue with any of them. 

I was told the same about extended release meds and rny.  However, my surgeon reviewed and ok'd all my extended release meds to be continued post op unless they were problematic.   In two years none had to be changed due to rny. 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

robinfrommilw
on 2/10/11 12:13 pm - WI
I have notice 30 min after taking the regular form side effects, sweating, nervous, shaky but it goes away after a awhile but just dont' like that feeling. I am having insomina as well. I usually try to take it at 5 am and 5 pm and still have trouble falling asleep. Have you try the SR form? Do you see a difference between the regular and extended release or the SR? 
My facebook page is:
www.facebook.com/robinfrommilwaukee  (just put that you are from OH in message to add you to my facebook)     

August 2010 weight 138 lbs lost of 179.5 lbs but gain again since my gallbladder surgery Oct 2010 range recentlly my weight got up to 166 and I was in freak mode. I am now down to 152.6 hoping to get back to 135 and started generic wellbutrin

cwest82
on 2/18/11 9:25 am - Canada
I am on wellbutrin XL, I take 450mg once a day.  It was effecting my sleep when I was taking it in the morning because it would peak in the evening and later so I started taking it at night and it does not effect my sleep anymore.  It will not cause weight gain but the extended release doesn't seem to have the same effects for weight loss and it didn't help me quit smoking either which is one of the things the regular kind is used for.  It is however an effective anti-depressant.  I have not noticed any changes in the effectiveness since my surgery, I am 14 months out now but I never changed to another form after my surgery and never had a problem. 

robinfrommilw
on 2/18/11 10:55 am - WI
wow thought rny are not suppose to take extended release. I am wondering if the SR would work better for weight loss. I haven't seen any weight loss with the regular generic wellbutrin. Notice that I have insomina though. And sometimes I have side effects 30 min after taking it. so wonder if the SR would be better. any feed back on that? It will be a month at the end of next week that I start it. Haven't really seen any decrease in appetite either. hmm
My facebook page is:

cwest82
on 2/19/11 2:07 am - Canada
The reason that it is supposed to help with weight loss and quitting smoking (it is the drug in zyban) is that it is supposed to help with impulse control, at least that is what I was told.  I never noticed any changes in that another thing is that the generics are different from the original.  They have the same amount of the same drug but the formula has to be slightly different from company to company, so what may vary from the name brand and even from one generic to another is the make up of the rest of the tablet and therefore the way it is realeased into your system (ie. rate, concentration, etc.) which can impact the possible side effects if it changes when the drug peaks in your system or how long it stays in your system after you take it.  I am on a few different things and one of my other meds the pharmacy switched to a generic and didn't tell me and I didn't know until I went to take it and I take it at night so I couldn't take it back and even if I did with any Rx once you leave the store you can't return it and I couldn't afford to go and get the right pills and throw out the generic and I had side effects that I had not had since I very first started on the medication, and some that I had never had before from this med.  So sometimes it is worth it to go for the name brand.  With my anti-depressents and anxiety med I pay the price for the good stuff, anything else I don't really care.  And try taking it at different times if it is effecting your sleep.  The best thing is to talk to the doctor who prescribed it.  Most surgeons don't know much about mental health issues or meds and most shrinks or family docs (whoever prescribes it for you) don't know much about this surgery, but since there is little to no affect on this med before or after surgery I would go with what the prescibing doc thinks is best and hopefully they know enough about you and these meds that they will make the right sugestions for you.  I trust my shrink with my meds because I know he knows his ****  If your doc knows the meds well he will be able to tell you the best form for you, and when is the best time for you to take it and what the right dosage should be.  And that should not be affected by whether or not you had surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views