getting medications in right after surgery??

anninva
on 12/27/10 11:06 pm - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
hi all!  new to this forum and can't believe i didn't find it until today, a little under two weeks until my surgery.

i'm going in 1/10 and starting to freak a little.  one thing i'm worried about is getting all my psych meds in.  i'm on a bunch, but the ones i'm worried about most are the klonopin (which i can chew up, so i guess that's not so bad) and the zoloft b/c i know you can get sick if you miss doees of ssri's.

anyone have ideas about this??? thanks!  glad to find a place to work on all this stuff.  i don't really relish the depression that i hear hits after the surgery . . .

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

luvkisses4k
on 12/30/10 10:11 am - Fredericksburg, VA
VSG on 12/21/10 with
Hi Ann

I had the same concerns with my Cymbalta and Busbar and Klonipin.  I stressed to my surgeon how important it was to get at least these medications of all the meds that I take.  He just told me to remind him on the day of surgery and he would put it in my chart.

I didn't get meds until the day after surgery, which was fine - I only missed one dose.  Before I could even say anything to the nurses about my meds, one of the doctors was running after the nurse to get that medicine into me asap!!  They were able to provide a smaller pill (had to take 2) that was smaller.

Also, during my pre-op, I stressed to the nurse how important it was to get the meds and I was able to take all my morning meds with a little bit of water.

Good Luck with your surgery!
Kelli

KristieA
on 1/3/11 12:30 pm - Orillia, Canada
Hi
Not sure if you still need more info. Definitely make sure your surgeon knows. Depending on what you are having done your Meds may not be absorbed as well as before surgery. If your Meds are timed released (eg XR or XL). You may have to switch to the regular type. Some/most Meds can be 'compounded' by a pharmacy into a liquid form as well.

Best of luck
K
mandajolyn
on 1/4/11 3:09 pm - Tallahassee, FL
I was taking mine the day after surgery. I'm on quite a few and was able to swallow them with a few sips of water. It took a few minutes but was fine. If you take anything that's XR or delayed release you may need to switch to a non XR form.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views