Having This Surgery Destroyed My Life

Ginny F.
on 12/7/10 2:46 am - Chicago, IL
Looking for some support and maybe some other people that may be in the same boat as me.  I had my surgery in 2002 when I was 19 years old.  I am now 28.  After about 5 years out I started having major issues with depression, anxiety, panic attacks and worst of all, ALCOHOLISM.  It was like something just clicked in my brain one day and I went from never really drinking at all to being a fall down drunk within a matter of months.  I didn't feel like myself and my personality, etc. has changed drastically.

I have always kept up with my eating habits, exercise and vitamin intake.  If fact, I weigh less now than I ever have since having my surgery.  I never had a problem with mental illness or alcohol prior to my surgery.  I followed all the required therapy and psychological testing as requested by my surgeon and had NO PROBLEMS.  I am now CONVINCED that there is a direct correlation between RNY surgery and long-term mental health/substance abuse issues because of the vitamin deficiencies and malabsorbtion created through the surgery.  I feel as though this surgery DESTROYS your brain and I only feel like it is getting worse over time.  I have been trying to do some research to actually find some studies on this matter...  I have been through rehab 3 times now and each time have met SEVERAL other people who have also had WLS and now have developed alcoholism.  As a result of what has happened to me since having WLS I have lost my job, my driver's license and am fighting several other legal cases.  I would give ANYTHING to return to 300 lbs. and still have my sanity.

I wish there were more support groups and information available regarding this subject because everyday it seems like I meet more and more people with the same problem!!  Please let me know if you have any info, research, etc... Or would like to be of support to one another.  Thanks!
 "Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past and fear of the future"
JTR
on 12/9/10 7:03 am - FL
Can't believe no one has rep;ied to your post. I don't think it is an uncommon problem to. Used to be a sub-group that offered support for "transfer addictions" as they call them. Hang-in there and keep trying. I find that a drug called Campra has helped me.
jenzfreedom
on 12/18/10 1:03 am - VA
 Wow, somebody else whos going through what I am, I can't say that this surgery has ruined my life (I had it in 03) but it has affected my health in so many ways!  I also turned to alcohol instead of food, and i am now suffering from chronic pain (another reason to drink).  I am depressed and scard!  I haven"t been on this forum since after I had my surgery but since my surgery I have developed an obsession with alcohol, lost my mother, gotten divorced, gotten a dui, filed for bankrupcy and basically fallen apart.  Not sure if its lifes misfortune or something of my own doing!!  I feel your pain and hope that u as well as anyone else that is experiencing this finds the help we need!  I commend u on opening up and talking about this, it makes me feel that i am not alone!
mistory5
on 1/14/11 6:06 pm
 did u find any help yet i just want 2 stop b4 i die i have a 10 yr old son who needs me
uniquely_ambi
on 12/22/10 9:14 am - Spring, TX
 I had mine in '08 and recently have noticed that I enjoy drinking.  I just turned 30 and never really liked the taste of alcohol, but this past year, esp. in the past few months, I just really, really enjoy it.  I function fine and only drink int he evenings or weekends, but this has me worried now.

Amber
RNY 3/08, 151 lbs. lost 
Currently preg with my miracle
Due 12/18/13

deannhuss
on 12/26/10 8:44 am - Pensacola, FL

I know exactly what u mean. I want to just end my life now. The surgery really screwed me up mentally....I need HELP !!!

anninva
on 12/27/10 10:52 pm - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
sounds awful you guys.  i'm going to be on the look-out for mh probs after surgery, since i already have a major depression/anxiety disorder/ptsd problem.  i am defnitely scared about things like getting my medications in and not missing doses.  i just hope this doesn't all send me into a tailspin when i don't have food to lean on.  that's my main fear right now.  alcohol makes me throw up (alcoholic mother) so i don't think it will be that, but afraid of klonopin use and just major freak out.

will definitely be watching this space!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

luvkisses4k
on 12/30/10 10:19 am - Fredericksburg, VA
VSG on 12/21/10 with
Ann - have a discussion with your shrink.  YOu've made a great choice in surgeries (VSG) for the intake of the meds.  That's why I choose VSG too.  I talked to my shrink and therapist for a long time before deciding to go forward with any kind of surgery and I am going into this with the beleif that it will help my depression.

As for everyone else, sorry to hear that you are going thru this but one of the things that my shrink told me she sees in WLS patients (treatment after surgery) is in addicition transfer.  There is some addiction there and food was it until they took the food out of the picture because you just couldn't eat it.  So you had to find something else to help you with what was troubling you.  It sounds like a lot of people turn to alchohol.

nfarris79
on 2/21/11 8:46 am - Germantown, MD
 Ann,
Did you ever find someone to go to? I'm not exactly close - Gaithersburg,MD - but it's good to stay connected to those in need.

windyacres
on 8/26/12 5:47 pm - Garner, NC
 I take Klonepin twice daily along with 2 anti-depressants. I am a year out from VSG and all I can say is that when life sucks and I'm trying to find some blessings to count, my surgery is one of my tip three.

Because of the meds I'm on I am allowed NO alcohol, which is. Probably a good thing.

Edie
Approved 8-1-11, Surgery 8-22-11  SW 231, Goal 140, CW 165

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views