Bipolar

Robinky
on 12/1/10 9:42 am - Owensboro, KY
 I was just wondering if anyone had been diagnosed with Bipolar prior to the surgery and how they got the surgeon to still do the surgery.
sjbob
on 12/4/10 7:45 am - Willingboro, NJ
I had been diagnosed as being bi-polar (don't ask me what type--my shrinks have always called it manic-depression).  My shrink even listed it as a comorbidity and it did help with getting the surgery approved.    I thought the listing as a comorbitiy was a bit funny because I know that it's hereditary in my father's family.  There's a family history of depression and manic-depression.  He didn't have it, but he had a brother and sister who each had manic-depression and another sister who suffered from depression.  Further back we know that his father was an alcoholic, but we don't know if he also had underlying mental problems.

I know other people who have had gastric bypass surgery who have manic depression.  I've noted who they are and became an online friend with another man about 10 years ago when we both joined OH.  I've been able to stay on my program more closely than he has but I have the advantage in that I am getting a full Federal Civil Service disability pension due to my condition.  That is, I don't have to worry about working and how my mental or physical condition would affect a job.  I know another man who is manic-depressive and is a practicing attorney.  I honestly don't know how he does it.  But, I do know that he struggles with his condition.  Of course, I rarely see people post who are not having a problem due to their mental condition.  That is, they have a mental problem but itis not affecting them post-op.  Look at my Latest Posts or Contact me directly if you want to discuss this further.  Bob
RosieNKY
on 12/5/10 5:19 pm - Owensboro, KY
 This is RobinKY.  I had to make a new login because I forgot my passwords.  I have suffered from depression for over 10 years now.  The first week of November I had myself hospitalized because my meds were not working, and since I knew the surgery was getting closer I wanted to get them straightened out.  The Program Manager of the hospital I am/was going through called one day to check on my status with my CPAP.  I thinking it was no big deal mentioned my hospital stay.  She then told me that before they would go any further they would need a letter from the doctor who treated me saying I am ok for the surgery.  When I went to the doctor she said she felt comfortable writing the letter for me, and it shouldn't be a problem.  Well there were several doctors involved in my treatment, and one wrote in my records that I MAY be bipolar.  This was the first I had heard of it.  The Program Coordinator called me and told me that the surgeon who was going to do my surgery said he would need another 6 months before he would consider doing the surgery.  I was literally days from setting a date.  Naturally, I was devastated.  She then went on to say that if I was bipolar that they would under no cir****tances do the surgery.  So here are my options:  Go to therapy like I already am, take the meds I already am, and hopefully convince my psychiatrist I am not bipolar.  I have seen many psychiatrists over the years and this is the first time this has come up.  My second option is begin the whole process again at a new facility.  I am also considering doing both at the same time, and go with the one that gets me done first.  
Donna K.
on 12/12/10 11:49 pm - ME
If your bipolar disorder is well controlled with medication, it shouldn't be a problem as long as your psych provider is willing to write a letter.
Peace & Love, Donna K.
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/10 7:24 am - North Bay, Canada
I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder 5 years ago and had wls last year my psychatrist was actually that one who made the referal to the suregone . There shouldn't be a problem as long as you are stable and willing to keep taking your meds . That is what they told me . Good luck.
RosieNKY
on 12/21/10 3:24 pm - Owensboro, KY
 Thank you everyone for your input.  SInce I posted this thread, I have found doctors who are willing to perform the surgeon on someone who is bipolar, AND my psychiatrist is going to have me go through a psych eval. to try to rule out bipolar.  I am ok with the results no matter what they are.  I know that I can still have the surgery, and hopefully lead a normal life bipolar or not.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views