Am I the only one depressed???

Shaesnana
on 11/11/10 3:53 am - Davenport, FL
Hi to anyone who happens to pop in this forum.  Certainly not a busy one.  I suppose that's a good thing but........
I am so freaking down I can't stand myself.   Anyone out there hear me???
Yes, I'm on medication for it, yes, I am seeing a therapist.   I have been battling depression for yrs.   I will be having WLS soon.   To say I am not scared would be lying.   I feel like I am in mourning today.
I'm mourning the loss of the foods I so love.  The ones I can't imagine going through life without.  You know the ones.   I can only hope and pray that as my weight comes off that I will feel better about my life and my depression will lessen.  I just want to sit here and cry.  Really not doing well at all.   Say a little prayer for me will ya?  Thanks.

Lyn.
MichelleRN04
on 11/15/10 11:43 pm - Lincoln Park, MI
Lyn,
You are most definately not alone. I have battled depression since I was a teen. I take Zoloft and I also see a therapist and have seen a therapist for the last two years almost weekly. It has made a tremendous difference in my life. When you say you feel like you are mourning the food you love so much, its because you are! In life when we "give up" the things that we do to comfort ourselves we mourn that loss and become uncomfortable until we find something else to fill that void. The real hard part is finding HEALTHY ways to comfort ourselves. Also, you can still have the foods you love, it just has to be in very limited moderation. Like for me its chocolate. So instead of having a whole candy bar, I will take a nibble when I absolutely have to have it and not feel guilty about it at all. This is not about deprivation but about teaching ourselves what is good for our bodies.  I hope you feel better soon and if you feel like crying, then cry! Sometimes we all need a good cry, but pick yourself up and look to the future and try not to get stuck and dwell in the depression. You can do this! You are worth it!  Take care...

Michelle
 Ht: 5'4", Consult wt: 241, Surgery wt: 223, 1/16/11 2cc fill, 2/15/11 2 cc fill.
People will forget what you said, forget what you did, but never will they forget how you made them feel.

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/10 12:52 am
Lyn,  I too suffer from depression and know exacting where you are coming from with the thought of mourning.  We have to think postive tho about all the things we are going to be able to have, all the healthy yummy foods, the sugar free deserts.  Someone posted using a greek yogurt with a  little sugar free instant cheesecake pudding mix, and topping it with no sugar added cherries.  To me that sounds delcious, there are alot of cookbooks out there (look on Amazon) that can teach you new ways to make yummy foods.  You surely won't be missing out.  We will adjust.  That stuff was so bad for us, lets try to stay postive and turn this around for us, We can do it.  From the bottom of my heart I know we can.
duke72
on 12/12/10 10:26 pm
Hi Lyn-
Yes, I'm sad today. I hope today has found better spirits for you than your last post. I wanted to let you know that you're not the only one out here feeling depressed and sad. I am also doing all the 'prescribed' work to control my emotions but gosh darn it, sometimes we just feel sad. Even after losing 130lbs, I still get depressed. To be honest, it's a different kind of depressed now. Before surgery, I was depressed about the opportunities I was giving up being fat and all the emotions that go along. But, after surgery, it is more about healing the wounds that caused my fatness to get out of control. It has been more of cleaning up very dusty emotions and getting rid of the old and making room for the new. Don't get me wrong, I have never felt better when I try on that sexy size 2 dress and put on the high heels and take my husband's arm and see the pride in his eyes. The good days will start to out-weigh the bad at some point. Hang in there and please know you are NOT alone. Smiles...Stephanie

SouthlakeMom
on 1/16/11 9:30 am
Lyn - I am sorry to hear about your depression. Did your surgeon send you for a psychiatric evaluation before surgery? I would encourage you to talk to your therapist, and your psychiatrist to maximize your mental health before undertaking this life changing surgery. The first several months were difficult for me to figure out how to behave. Food was the answer to any and all emotions or events, and after the sleeve I just couldn't do that. The great news is that it has gotten about 1000% better. In 10 months I am about 15 pounds below my goal weight.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views