Looking for a therapist in Northern NJ (Bergen County)

nette0126
on 10/29/10 1:24 am

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for a therapist in Northern NJ (Bergen County).  I would prefer someone who specializes in eating disorders such as binge eating.  I am a 39 year old female, approved for gastric bypass surgery (no date scheduled yet) but I know that in order to be successful I will need help in coping with my stressors in a different way not related to food and using food as a source of relaxation and comfort.    Any suggestions on therapists and/or support groups would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

sjbob
on 11/3/10 6:48 pm - Willingboro, NJ
I suggest contacting your ins co.  I had that problem in South Jersey (Burlington County) and contacted my ins.  They gave me a list of covered therapists ( not addiction counselors) and I just called going down the list.  I eventually found someone but ended up not going because of her location.  

You may want to contact an addiction counseling center or other therapy hosp.  I know we have one in Westampton NJ and there may be some in Northern NJ.  Of course, your problem may be with the sheer volume of potential cournselors to look at.

Another possible resource may be an Overeaters Anonymous group.  It doesn't work for me and I don't believe in 12 step programs ( I gained 300 lbs while going to OA but that's because I wasn't having manic-depression treated).  I found out about some addiction counselors from word of mouth at the meetings.  I don't know how people there would treat someone going for WLS, but that's their problem and not yours.

In brief, you are on your own, but my suggestions may aid with your search.
nette0126
on 1/20/11 12:40 am
Sorry it took so long for me to reply but I do appreaciate you taking the time to give me advice.  I have contacted my insurance company and as you said its a matter of going down a list and basically phone interviewing therapist :-)
Patricia R.
on 1/15/11 10:55 am - Perry, MI
Don't know if you found a therapist or not.  Dr. Thomas Barrett is in Morris County, Green Village to be exact.  He specializes in eating disorders.  I have been seeing him for years, and drive from Bucks County, PA to see him.

973-301-0442

Good luck.

Trish Reilly

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

nette0126
on 1/20/11 12:24 am
Thank you so much for your advice!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views