Gastric Bypass Revision

Dancolorado
on 9/21/10 3:31 am - Glenwood Springs, CO
Hello to everyone,
About two years ago, I had my gastric bypass surgery done, and I have only lost about 15 lbs. I started out at 250lbs and my height is 5'9"   My bmi was not off the charts, I was unable to lose the weight I wanted, and thats why I had the surgery. When I got back home, I was eating about half of what I used to., I'm eathing what I used to before my surgery, and I feel like I never had the surgery. My weight is 237 today, and I would like to be 180. Not once did I every come close to vomiting . I do have an eating disorder, and its at night time. Doing the day, I'm busy and I pretty much eat healthy, but after dinner, everything go to _ _ _ t. lol.  The docotor is talking about a smaller sleeve.

What do I would to acheave after this revision, when i want to eat at night, I would just get sick. I'm laughing as I'm writing this, because, I want the majc pill. Can you please shed some light for me.

Thanks Dan

Catnip
on 10/15/10 11:50 am - Ottawa, Canada
Ummm,, not matter what surgery you have if your not willing to make MAJOR changes to your eating plans then you aren't going to succeed. Even with the DS you have to make changes, like cutting out the carbs and increasing your protein.

I want to make sure you are aware of the supplementation requirements that are required with the DS. IF you can't change your diet then how are you going to mange to take vitamins 6 times a day?

You will be taking calcium 4 to 5 times a day. iron , separate for the calcium at least once a day, Vit D, Vit A, Multi vitamins, etc.

Have you talked to a nuturionist about this?  Maybe you need to work at your RNY, before getting another surgery?

Catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Dina McBride
on 10/16/10 12:55 am - Portland, OR
Hey Dan,

I'm Dina - had my DS 8.5 years ago.  My husband had his DS 6.5 years ago.  We have a son who had a Sleeve Gastrectomy 3.5 years ago.  Totally get where you're coming from.

So - have you had the revision yet?

If so - do you know what the surgeon did?  I.e., did they take down your gastric bypass and convert you to a TRUE DS?  Or do you have a hybrid?

Blessings,

dina
Open BPD/DS July 2, 2002
Revision:  Lap Re-Sleeve November 10, 2008
Dr. Aniceto Baltasar, Alcoy, Spain
www.bodybybaltasar.wordpress.com
Read my DS Blog:  http://livingthedslife.wordpress.com/
beemerbeeper
on 10/16/10 7:25 am - AL
Are you seeing the replies that people are kind enough to write to you? I know a lot of us responded on another thread you started on the DS forum.

Kindly let us know if you see the posts we write to you.

Stefanie P.
on 10/16/10 9:09 am - Los Angeles, CA
Dan,
I posted this on your thread on the DS board, and I'm copying it here as well.  I'm not looking to flame you, or invite a pile-on, but I'm truly and deeply concerned about you.

Stefanie

[Copied from DS forum]

Dan,
I wasn't planning to add to all the other voices encouraging caution.  I figured there were enough already.
But, I read your post on another board, saying that this is a revision, and not a virgin DS.  So I have to say something.
A revision, especially from an RNY, is an extremely complex surgery.  You don't just need an experienced DS surgeon - you need a highly experienced DS revision surgeon, and there are only a few of these.  Keshishian and Rabkin in CA are two of them.
Please understand and trust that no one on this board is trying to be critical of you - we're concerned about your life and your health!  Revisions are high-risk, even with the best surgeons.  To go to anyone else for a revision is truly putting yourself at risk for serious and possibly life-threatening, complications.  Those of us who have been on this board for several years have seen it happen too many times.  That's a knowledge-base and perspective that no newcomer could have.
I understand how excited you are, and it would be very hard to put things on hold a week before surgery.  But that's what we're urging/begging you to do, for your own sake!  You can always have surgery later, but once you've had it, there's no going back.
So I pray that you will listen to the many voices of concern here, and reconsider your plans.
STEFANIE    Totally lovin' my DS!!
HW 336/ SW 326/ CW 147/ GW 160   13 lbs. below goal!

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views