Hello and need info on depression/anxiety

Navytown Mom
on 8/19/10 1:21 am

I haven't posted here before, that I know of. I have been dealing with depression, anxiety and panic attacks throughout my life. It's wierd because it just tends to flare up every so often. I was actually off meds for a while and was feeling great. However, in the last month I have had to go back on them. I became obese because I would turn to food for comfort from various types of abuse I endured starting when I was a child. Food was my coping mechanism for years and years. I never really understood the reality of my food addiction until very recently, since I have been post-op. It's so strange that I feel so happy right now with where I am in life, (starting school, separated from my abusive husband, and finally learning to love myself and enjoy activities) and WHAMMO I am smacked in the face with depression  and anxiety again. I believe that much of what I am feeling is due to financial constraints. Eventhough my husband pays for my child's daycare I still support her with her clothing, food and every day needs.  I have decided to get into counseling again and I am a little stressed about paying for that. I have been second-guessing myself so much lately. I have no idea if that is part of the anxiety or not. If you have experience with anxiety I would love to hear some advice or your thoughts on it.

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon,

Susan

mandajolyn
on 9/3/10 4:35 pm - Tallahassee, FL
If you've had depression and anxiety in the past, the smallest amount of stress can cause it to reoccur. Since surgery I've felt A LOT better but I notice that if I'm stressed or in a situation that makes me nervous I panic or slip into a funk. It can be anything big or small. Money problems are a MAJOR factor in anxiety and depression. We're struggling as well and I've noticed that lately I'm more on edge, I'm more depressed than I have been. Second guessing yourself, feeling lost, or scattered is anxiety related. When things are going OK and you're calm you probably aren't second guessing as much. Hope life calms down for you soon! 
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

babybooo828
on 9/4/10 12:23 pm
I think it is great that you are going to get back into counseling. You realized a problem and you are taking positive steps to take care of it. Have you ever tried journaling? I do that sometimes it helps to get out my anxieties and worries. I set aside time each day... It doesn't have to be every day and it doesn't have to be a lot of time maybe 10 or 15 minutes and I wrote down whats going through my head. Then I try to just leave it there on the paper and not carry it with my everywhere I go. It helps a lot. Then I take the journal and share it with my therapist and we talk about whats going on. Its a great way to keep the communication going. I wish you the best of luck.

Lauren

malkee
on 9/4/10 2:59 pm
VSG on 10/25/18
 I am a big proponent of medication since it proved to be the answer to all my anxiety/depression problems.(I was diagnosed bipolar. It could be that if you cry a lot.) Go to a psychiatrist and get some knowledgeable input as to the medicaton you are taking. Perhaps he or she will prescribe something more effective. There is nothing like the feeling of finally finding an anti-depresssion medication that actually works.
JennaSilva
on 9/28/10 2:27 am - Turlock, CA
Your story sounds like mine.  About 1 year out I was happy and then it felt as if it all hit the fan.  I too was back in school, separated from husband and on and on.  Be careful with certain meds.  I really feel that was the start of my weight gain.  Intense hunger is a side effect to a few of these meds.  Good luck to you!
Jenna
Why the bed you ask.  I rather be sleeping! 

sethliv1996
on 10/28/10 5:14 pm
 I've battled depression ever since I had my twins, almost 11 years ago. I thought with the weight loss, the anxiety and depressive episodes would go away. They did for about a year, then wammo! They smacked me upside the head again and I had a melt down. I found out I'm bipolar type 2 and have been on meds for a few months now. I'm doing much better, and have come to realize that ups and downs are normal and you deal with them the best you can. I'm currently going through a divorce and trying to stay positive. I wish you much luck and hope you start to feel better!
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views