really struggling with meds post-op HELP

cassiegrl
on 6/29/10 6:05 pm - putnam, CT
RNY on 12/15/09 with
I have found that my meds do not work as well as they did pre-op, i knew before surgery that the extended release would not work well, and was changed from effexor XR to just regular effexor... and was doing ok, but then a month or so ago i started to really struggle, having periods of being very depressed or anxious and then ok and it would change moment to moment and something simple would set me off... i went to see my dr the other day and she changed me to cymbalta and although i started at 60 i am now up to 120, i feel sooo horrible.  I was doing some research online about meds with RNY and a lot came up about bipolar etc and reading everything sounds like what i am experiencing... well the hypomanic and bipolar II... i dont hallucinate... although i also found that the hypomanic can be medication induced... i also just had my 6 month lab work and my iron is low (i dont know about anything else, becuase as it was i had to pry that out of the nurse, the dr will call me with the results in a week or two- retarded) so i dont know how much of anything has to do with my lab results being off... i have no idea what my B12 is, i know that effects antidepressives.  so i guess im looking for ideas and thoughts.. anyone been with any of this? any meds that work well with absorbtion that dont have to be taken a few times  aday (i never remember to take them and so then i with draw all thetime)

thanks

Patricia R.
on 6/29/10 7:29 pm - Perry, MI
If you are bipolar, Cymbalta will help with the depression, but not the manic phases.  I am on Cymbalta, Buspar and Risperdal.  The Risperdal is what helps the manic phases in me.

I have not had any malabsorption issues, but I am low on B12 and Iron, and find that causes me to feel down, and not motivated to do anything.  I get B12 shots, and iron IV infusions.  

Talk to your doctor about your symptoms and the manic stuff, and ask for something for that. 

How is your exercise program going?  That effects mental health as well.

Are you in psychotherapy?  That is an important component also.  Medication only helps so much, therapy helps examine behavior and change.

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

cassiegrl
on 6/30/10 2:27 pm - putnam, CT
RNY on 12/15/09 with

ty, i have been reading on the risperdal and i see the therapist again tommorrow and see what she says about it.  other than seeing her for meds im not in any therapy right now, but have been in the past... i got all the books memorized... i spoke to the nurse in the office today and now no one can seem to agree if my iron is low or ok... and my B12 was fine... so they say.. im quite frustrated with them, and they just want me to call my PCP who tells me to call them cuz everything seems to be related... ugh... my fingers are crossed for tommorrow thank you

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/10 11:15 pm
RNY on 12/14/09 with

Hey Cassie...I am sorry you are struggling.  I can't offer much help on the meds, I just wanted to offer my support.

I called the office and had them fax me my labs.  They come into my inbox as a secure pdf.  Do you have that option?  Then you won't have to wait.  They are YOUR labs.

{{Hugs}}
cassiegrl
on 6/30/10 2:25 pm - putnam, CT
RNY on 12/15/09 with
thank you and yes i need to get a copy of them.. i called today and spoke with louis his nurse and she said my iron is fine (24) so one person says its low another says its fine and niether julie nor Dr. a will answer me yet... i see the therapist tommorrow morning and sheshould have a copy of the labs too so maybe she will have some thoughts... thank you

cassie

gisele00
on 7/2/10 3:35 am
i lived 30 yrs of my life manic depressive without meds.  after my second child was born, i realized i couldnt risk staying off meds any longer.   sleep deprivation sets me off big time but of course the mania has a lovely insanity to it.  i was foolishly put on a ssri and because of my ignorance-i took it.  talk about mania!!  after that, i tried most of the usual drugs but just could not stand the "stupids" they made me feel.  sleep was the key to all of it for me.  and finding a really super psychopharm..  10 years ago-i settled on zoloft, wellbutrin and a very high dose of klonopin to make sure i sleep (if i go more than 2 nights without sleep-i see the doctor).

after my rny, i refused to change my meds after futzing with them for so long.  i still fight my demons but i cant bear to feel the med change.  as long as i can keep a grip=i'm sticking to the same program even though all my docs agree it is a uncommon combo (an my shrink aways wants me on abilify or lithium in addition).

if i ever reach a place of *strength*, perhaps i will meddle with my meds but for now-i am too scared of upsetting the applecart.

keep taking your b12 et al and keep a journal so you can track your moods etc.

good luck-stay brave!

ps-i get my labs sent to me immediately as well-i never wait for any doctor to inform me of anything.  if i didnt stay on top of my ****i'd be lost.
why buy the cow when you can sell the toaster

5' 9"
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views