Anyone gain weight on Wellbutrin?

chelle614
on 6/19/10 2:11 am - Chester, NY
Anyone gain weight on Wellbutrin?

Just had RNY (revision) 9 weeks ago. I gained 7 pounds in the past week, started Wellbutrin about 3 weeks ago. The only thing I can think of is that it is this medicine, since I am eating less and working out more. Just curious if this has happened to anyone?
BTW, I would love to read all the subjects on this board, but am frustrated that I have to wade through the same topic posted daily (the spiritual and grateful posts). Nothing against them, just pointing out that it makes finding other subjects (relevant to mental health) hard to find.

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

sjbob
on 6/27/10 2:23 am - Willingboro, NJ
I've been on Welbutrin since Oct 2005 and haven't had problems with weight gain due to the meds.  My problem has always been with eating sugar, white flour, and some junk foods.  I know what I am addicted to and I am clean now. 

I know that, when I was put on Welbutrin, I had to be weaned off my former anti-depressant and slowly put on the Welbutrin.  I wouldn't worry about 7 pounds.  Don't go overboard with a slight weight variation.  It may take you a few weeks to get used to the meds.  Allow them to work and do not go into a panic (no one said that you are).  Changing antidepressants may have to be delayed if that is your only course of action.  Ask your shrink if Welbutrin has weight gain as a side effect.  There are many variable that may contribute to gaining up to around 10 pounds or so.  Since you had a revision, you may think you know all that you need to know about your type of surgery.  I had an open distal RNY on 11-14-2000 and had to have another RNY on 01-21-2005 due to staple line disruption.  Unfortunately, I was depressed by the time I had my revision and didn't lose weight as fast as my surgeon wanted me to do.  I talked to my shrink and he wouldn't change my meds to the Welbutrin until I was 9 mos post-op.  But, then I did start losing some weight.

As to reading posts on this forum, you can quickly just pass by the spiritual and grateful posts.  Most people who do that on a regular basis clearly use a subject line stating what they are writing about.  Many other people try to write a clever line on other forums just so they will get a response. 

You may also want to check out the Hunger and Food Troubles Forum.  I know that using the Min Forum has become almost hopeless because it's just overused--kinda like Yogi Berra saying that that place is too crowded because nobody goes there anymore.  Yeah, you can post and hope to get a response from the peopl who are available within the next hour.  I prefer the slower moving forums. 
Catnip
on 7/3/10 1:17 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I lost weight on wellbutrin.

The reason we decided that I should take wellbutrin was because it is one of the few anti-depressants that don't cause weight gain. People usually lose weight well on it.

Catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

grasstango
on 8/22/10 5:25 am - Trenton, Ontario, Canada
I have been taking Wellbutrin for 4 yrs now, I had my RNY sugery almost 1 year ago...so far I've had no problems with weight gain
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views