Mental Health Issues and WLS

mark1963
on 6/11/10 9:30 am, edited 6/11/10 9:32 am - Fairfax (Marin County), CA
I am wondering if anyone has had surgery delayed or cancelled due to uncontrolled depression or other mental health issues?  I met with the bariatric program pschologist for the first time and she commented that it appeared that my depression wasn't controlled.  It is not perfect but it is much better than it was. 

Granted, sometimes it is hard to do everything I need to do to take care of myself to get ready for surgery, but I wonder if other people had/have this challenge. 

Thanks,
Mark
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

mandajolyn
on 6/11/10 7:42 pm - Tallahassee, FL
It's important to be as stable as possible so that you have a better chance after surgery of doing ok. My Surgery was delayed a month because my surgeon wanted to be 100% certain that I was stable enough and able to take care of myself after surgery. I have Bipolar and a double depression diagnosis.
Work with your therapist on getting your depression under control, even if it delays your surgery a bit it's better than spiraling into a deep depression after surgery and not being able to take care of yourself. I've only had one minor depressive episode since surgery.
Making sure you have a really good support system is important as well, it will help you feel less overwhelmed and allow you to have help while you are trying to heal from surgery.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

mark1963
on 6/12/10 11:21 pm - Fairfax (Marin County), CA
Thanks for your reply.  I also have a Bipolar and a seperate depression diagnosis.  I am working on these issues but the depression seems very persistent at times.  I appreciate your comments about delaying surgery is better than spiraling out of control afterwards. 

Mark
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

Michelle W.
on 6/13/10 9:54 pm - Olmsted Falls, OH
Hi Mark,

I had GBS in March 2003, I decided to come visit and your post stuck out to me. I was initially denied in part to something similar. The GBS shrink said I was too depressed to continue the process and suggested that I begin antidepressants. I was angry because I thought, How many people do you know that weigh 450 pounds that aren't depressed? I did what was asked and took the medication and within a few months of stability, I was approved.
 Now, here comes the fun part. Because of the changes physically and emotionally, I experienced a slew of problems. I began engaging in multiple high risk behaviors such as sex, drugs, and drinking. I did not know who I was anymore and it scared me. I believe anyone going through this dramatic of a change needs to always be aware of the possibilties.
 Luckily, I am now in recovery and have been on the right path for three years. I am in school to become a counselor and hope to do some work with weight loss surgery patients and those with addiction. I am also happily married and have the life I always dreamed of. If I had to do it over, I would not change a thing because if the road lead me here, it was worth it.
 Make sure you have a good support system in place and do not stop receiving counseling post-op. I made many mistakes and thought I was fine, but I was anything but fine for awhile. Take care and wishing you all the best in life!
Patricia R.
on 6/14/10 12:17 am - Perry, MI
I did not have my surgery delayed because of my mental health issues, but I can assure you that it is vital that you be as stable as possible.  Food is a drug for me, and I spiraled out of control a year out, with alcohol and food again.  My weight loss stalled, and my alcoholic relapse has been brutal.  I had five years of sobriety when I had my surgery.  

If you are not in therapy, it would be a good idea to get into therapy.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Sara M.
on 6/24/10 8:46 am - Warren, OH
I was worried about the same thing about surgery. i havent gotten clearance yet but she feels i am stable and in control. plus she needed my records from my therapist and shrink. i go back in sept. she wants to make sure i am still stable, plus see what diagnosis i had from my shrink. i definetly see them holding up the surgery if i fall apart or maybe even cancelling it if i ever get admitted. i am not sure. all i know is that i am still cycling about 1 week a month of depression. mood disorder nos with personality traits is my diagnosis i found out. now to see what they think of me now. good luck on your journey, i wish you the best.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views