Bi Polar Disease

dsherrera
on 3/6/10 3:06 am
Curious as to whether other people with bipolar could share whether this WLS affected the way the disease progressed after. I walked out of the hospital and suddenly was in a crisis mode which has resulted in me not being able to work at the current time. I have had to make weekly adjustments to my med regimen and weekly visits to my psych. At one point I was in a mixed state which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Just wanting to know other people's experiences.
Dana

Patricia R.
on 3/6/10 4:49 am - Perry, MI
I have bipolar disorder, and am not sure what I can offer in the way of advice or thoughts.  Mine has been the same before and after my surgery.  

I wonder what part not being able to eat what you want when you want plays into your current problem.  Have you been in psychotherapy with a therapist experienced with eating disorders?  I recommend that.  Also, you may want to visit Overeaters Anonymous for support with your food plan.

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

dsherrera
on 3/6/10 9:49 am
i have been in therapy for 2 years and he does have lots of experience with  eating disorders.
Patricia R.
on 3/6/10 12:48 pm - Perry, MI
Have you learned coping strategies for the eating disorder and bipolar symptoms?  That is what I am working on in my therapy.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

mercedes19762003
on 4/14/10 11:53 pm - Seattle, wa
Maybe because I am new to the bipolar world(think i've been bipolar for awhile but recently diagnosed), my outlook on how the surgery affected me is a little different.  I was diagnosed I think in 07 or 08 but did not research it and really just figured it was a more extreme case of being depressed and nothing more.  I stopped taking meds for it about 6 months or more prior to surgery.  My surgery was June 2, 09.  Everything was great, no problems.  Well, that was until i realized that being off the meds and the changes to my body and the way i viewed myself and how others reacted to the new me set off a manic state.  I almost ruined my marriage.  So i think if it was probably under control prior to surgery and carefully monitored after surgery, i would of been fine.  I tried going it alone and it did not work.  And in case you care, i am back on meds and joined a local support group.  I wish you luck with both your bipolar and your weight loss journey.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views