mental illness aggravated after weight loss

laraloulou
on 2/16/10 4:52 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 07/02/09 with
ok so i always knew i had some mental health problems, but 85 pounds down and all of a sudden i'm like all over the place!  I truly felt as if I were psychotic.  My psychiatrist upped my Lamictal and put me on Lithium.  My anxiety is through the roof!  I've been wanting to smoke pot.. ugh.  I finally started counseling a couple weeks ago.  Just wondering if i'm the only one whose "issues" started bubbling up after the "suit of armour" (FAT) shed off?   

Sparkly Mama
on 2/16/10 7:00 am - Canada
Hey Lara, no you are not the only one. i had exacerbation of anxiety after surgery too, i tried to decrease my meds and ended up with anxiety through the roof. Smoke pot if it helps i say. sometimes its the only thing that helps my anxiety, just make sure to have plenty of crystal light on hand after lol.
I have been ruminating about a lot of issues i need to resolve lately feellings of worthlessness and hopelessness. So you are not alone. As the fat comes off, the issues will start to come up i think partly because who knows how our meds are being metabolized and partly needing a new coping mechanism that is not harmful.

((((HUGS))))
Robin
Patricia R.
on 2/16/10 11:22 am - Perry, MI
It is the loss of food as a comfort and addiction that I found to be the biggest problem.  Smoking pot will not fix the problem, only exacerbate it.  You won't be dealing with the issues, just escaping another way.  Switching addictions is not the answer.

I participate in AA because I am also an alcoholic.  People with food issues, like me, also find help and hope in Overeaters Anonymous.  It is a great support for helping deal with the emotions that food were masking all these years.  I participated there for decades, but found I need AA more.

God bless you for working on yourself.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Lalocaweta
on 2/18/10 2:19 am - Spicewood, TX
I agree w/ everyone....You have lost your drug of choice - which was food. Don't allow yourself to turn to alcohol as I did - as that will kick in you in the butt so fast. I nearly died from bleeding ulcers two times due to severe anemia that resulted in internal bleedings. The ulcers came from the alcohol....
Smoke pot it it helps. I do on occassion when my anxiety is really high. I refuse to take any benzos - so have to figure out other ways to deal with anxiety. Stay in therapy too - if you are not doing cognitve behavior therapy (CBT) you need to add that.
Hang in there.

Anne
"Patriots always talk of dying for their country but never of killing for their country." - Bertrand Russell
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views