Anti Depressants and WLS

readyornothereIcome
on 12/20/09 11:49 pm - Fort Polk, LA
URGH! 

After being off any type of Anti Depressants for a year, I am going to have to go back on something...  a lot has happened in the past 60 days to make this become the norm again, so I need some insight on  success/failures of anti depressants after WLS.  I have (prior to surgery) tried every thing under the sun but at a price of 100+ lbs so now I don't want to fight that battle also.  I have lost 130 lbs since surgery and don't want to be done yet,  I have a few more lbs to go.   Any suggestions. 
Patricia R.
on 12/21/09 9:36 pm - Perry, MI
I have been on zoloft, and lexapro prior to my surgery.  The lexapro was successful pre- and post-op.  I am now on cymbalta, because of chronic pain.  It helps with the depression, but not the pain. 

I suggest you work with a psychiatrist for the meds, and I also suggest a really good book.  "Feeling Good" by Dr. David Burns.  It helped me, and many of my family and friends.  It is about cognitive therapy, and it is a self-help book.  My psychiatrist recommended it years ago, and it really is worth it.

Feel free to PM me if you need to.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

princesspenny7
on 12/30/09 7:56 am - Canada
Whatever you do DO NOT take EFFEXOR.  I am currently trying to get off this horrible drug & I feel like a crack addict in withdrawal right now.  It has been only three days since I stopped Effexor cold turkey (at the advice of my family doctor) & it is horrible.  My family doc put me on Remeron but after researching that it appears they are in the same class so i am going to try Welbutrin.  I have tried it before with no luck but I am hoping with my weight loss it will work this time round.
Whatever you do, do not give up.  It will work itself out someday.  Stay consistent & be strong! :)

PRINCESSPENNY            
Patricia R.
on 12/30/09 10:49 am - Perry, MI
I am sorry you are suffering as you go off Effexor.  May I ask why you do not see a psychiatrist for your psych meds?  I trust a psychiatrist much more than a family doc with this stuff.

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views