medicare?

adwinters12345
on 12/10/09 1:57 am - north las vegas, NV
Anyone know how to get Medicare to help cover therapy? I need to help work through my emotional eating and I think I need a pros help.
Thanks
I'm not a Bitch, I'm just Hungry
jwohler
on 12/11/09 2:04 am - Salida, CA
Hi, medicare should pay along as the billing provider uses a parity diagnosis.  I bill for mental health.
Good luck.
Judy

nightowl
on 1/5/10 6:52 pm - Topeka, KS
The main problem is that Medicare only pays 50% of what Medicare considers a proper amount when it comes to psychotherapy (as opposed to 80% for most medical things), and most people on disability can't afford enough appointments when having to pay so much.  It is a huge blessing that I have a Medigap supplemental insurance plan that pays for the 50% Medicare doesn't.  Medicare's discriminatory policy (50% vs 80%) is set to change, I think around 2014(?), the last I heard of this legislation.  It stinks for so many people that there's a long wait for this.

In the meantime, if money to afford therapy is an issue, check out your county's designated Community Mental Health Center.  (If I understand correctly, every county in the US has one.)  It gets tax money that makes it possible for them to offer therapy at a way reduced rate based on the client's income.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views