Any help?

familymandms
on 12/9/09 11:38 pm
I'm new to this site and have just found this mental health forum.  What I'm seeing is great and looks like what I need.  I am 4.5 years of of RNY and lost 100 lbs.  Felt great and then had a baby 15 mos ago.  Never would have had my bearcub had it not been for the surgery - I waited 40 years to have a baby and he's the best thing in my world.  I still have 35 extra lbs from the pregnancy and feeling like a complete failure because of this.  Had I not had the surgery I would not have gotten with my partner of 4 years as I know his preferences and I he would not have pursued me.  So, now with this 35 lbs I feel unattractive to him - he says it is noticable but look what we have out of it all and that he continues to love me.  But, I still know his preferences.  So - depression cycles are in full swing.  Going back to old eating habits, feeling guilty/shame for doing so, even less motivation to get going again, and then more old eating habits.  I really need some help on getting going again.  I'm on antidepressants (for years) and seeing a therapist.  However, my therapists advise was to 'just do it'.  I'm trying to figure out how to talk myself into motivation over the continual negative self talk and feelings of failure.  I know what to do physically - how do I get my mind to catch up and get moving again? 
Patricia R.
on 12/14/09 4:08 pm - Perry, MI
It could be you need group support.  I got it in OA twenty years ago, and then eating disorder treatment, twice, on an outpatient basis.  I sometimes go to the support group at the hospital where my surgery was done.  Right now, I am not doing well with the food either, but I know what works for me.  

To combat the negative self-talk, you need to fill your brain with positives.  Have you read "The Beck Diet Solution."?  Or, "The Anatomy of a Food Addiction."?  Both help with that negative self-talk.  I need to reread both, and intend to once I complete the move I am making in the next few weeks.

Hang in there.  If you are interested in OA, check out their website at www.oa.org.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views