Bipolar???

kayleesmommy2007
on 12/8/09 1:13 am
Hello everybody!!!

My name is Jessica and I am a newbie!  :-)

I am scheduled to have an RNY at the end of December.  I have completed all my pre-opt testing, but today I had my last "bump" in the road.  I had a psyc meeting, and after spending almost 2 hours with the lady, she stated that I have a very mild form of Bipolar. 

I am like in shock I guess you could say!  I always new that I had anxiety, but bipolar?  WOW.  I don't know what to think or feel, nor did she explain any more information.

She just told me to schedule another apt with her next week,  (But she did say that this should not keep me from having my surgery).

Is there anybody out there with bipolar disorder, and can give me some details, or more information 1st hand? 

I have read a little bit online, and ordered a few books, but I am just concerned...

Thanks in advance!!!
Jessica

"Life is to short, so make a decision and give it 110%"

Lalocaweta
on 12/8/09 8:32 am - Spicewood, TX
I am Bipolar - I am NOT a mild form - I have very severe cycling (the moving from manic to depressive stages on a frequent basis).
It took about 7 years to get an accurate diagnosis of my disorder. Bipolar is a chemical imbalance in the brain - it is nothing that is contagious, nothing that you "caught", nothing that you did wrong, etc. It can be treated with drugs.
I am on Effexor and Depakote and have been for about 6 months - and the drugs are working great.
The only thing I will add is that people w/ Bipolar tend to also have addictive personalities, and you need to keep that in mind after you have your RNY as if you have addictive personality and can no longer use food as an addictive substance, you may turn to some other things.
"Patriots always talk of dying for their country but never of killing for their country." - Bertrand Russell
kayleesmommy2007
on 12/8/09 2:06 pm
Thanks for the information, and replying to my post!!!  I really appricate it!  (More than you know)  I want to tell my family, but I am scared as to what they will think!  I am thinking that I will do some more research this week, and maybe sit them all down and just tell them point blank,...  But just concerned that they are going to judge me! 

In the past I was diagnosised with depression, to sever depression, to just anxiety, and now bipolar.  From everything that I have read, it looks like I have been bipolar for a long time, it was just mis-diagnosed.  We  maybe this is a good thing, and that now I know whats wrong, it can be fixed!!!

Thanks again,
Jessica

mandajolyn
on 12/9/09 2:26 pm - Tallahassee, FL
I have a severe form of Bipolar as well as other mental illnesses. It didn't stop me from being approved for surgery. The Dr was really nice that I went to, they don't try to keep you from having it.

I found out 5 years ago that I had Bipolar after suffering what's called a Manic episode. It's been a long learning process for me. If you'd like to PM me I can share my experience with you. My best advise is research as much as you can, get a definitive diagnosis before you accept any Dr's first time opinion. 
http://psychcentral.com/  is a REALLY good site! 

Bipolar usually accompanies Anxiety or some other form of mental illness. Once you learn more about it, you can identify yourself, your behaviors, your thoughts, feelings...so you can better understand it and see if this fits you. Bipolar is often times misdiagnosed as there are other mental illness that are a lot alike and mimic the symtoms of BP.

I would ask you if there's been anything really traumatic happened in your life? Sometimes that can and usually will be a precurser to mood disorders and other mental illnesses.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to message me! It's scary and overwhelming to hear the Dr tell you something like that, but there are so many people out there who are going through the same thing and can help you understand it better so you aren't as freaked out about it.

Amanda

"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

kayleesmommy2007
on 12/9/09 2:49 pm
Thank you for replying!!! I am deff gomna send you a pm! :-). You asked about a tramatic experence, well I am 24 and I lost my mom 5 years ago to cancer. Last year my best friend was murdered my a drunk driver, who doesn't remember hitting her! :-( its beem a tuff couple of years. (I am on my black berry at the moment but tomorrow I will send you a pm and explain more). But any info or insite is deff welcome! I need all the support and friends I can get, esp somebody who is facing the same things!!! Thanks again, Jessica

Patricia R.
on 12/14/09 1:00 pm - Perry, MI
I was raised by a bipolar mother who was first diagnosed when I was only a year old.  I developed mental health issues after growing up with her outbursts and my dad's violent alcoholism.  I also am alcoholic.  

A year ago, my psychiatrist, with whom I have worked for years, told me I have a mild form of bipolar disorder. 

To make my life more interesting, I am a licensed social worker and work part time in a psychiatric hospital. 

My personal experience has taught me that cognitive behavioral therapy, and the right medications help me stay stable.  Going off meds, or playing with the dosages triggers manic acting out.  My acting out used to be explosive, and hurt my family to the point of divorce.  Now, it is more self-destructive, self-defeating stuff.

Feel free to ask me any questions.  I was not denied surgery, and my psychiatrist did my eval. 

The key to the surgery is compliance.  The surgeon does not want to do this surgery on a patient who will not follow the directions for diet and self-care post-op, as that is when the most danger is present. 

If you have not already begun therapy, find a good cognitive behaviroal therapist who has also dealt with eating disorders.  Also, get a psychiatrist to evaluate you for medication.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

readyornothereIcome
on 12/20/09 11:15 pm - Fort Polk, LA
Jessica,

I am a patient of the Barnes' also... if you saw their "shrinks" I would definately get a second opinion. I too have been told I was mild bipolar, but come to find out it was just a med issue that once they changed the combo of the anxiety and depression meds, I was good to go and stopped what the dr said was manic fits. I see all to often dr's that want to put the Bipolar label on us because it is the latest label they can slap on people. Please get more info! and if I were you, I wouldn't tell the family anything until you have researched it more and seen a true shrink... After WLS I was able to come off ALL meds and ahve been med free for 1 year ( 130lbs later) however I am going back to the shrink tomorrow to get back on some form of med, I think I would of been able to of stayed drug free, however my husband of 11 years decided that now was the time to find a girlfriend so I am dealing with some major anger issues and have a huge amount of rage that is getting the best of me.... SO any suggestions from other WLS greaties on what anti depressants wont' sabotage my weight loss??????
kayleesmommy2007
on 12/23/09 11:26 am
I am deff going to get a 2ed opinion!  :-)  Thanks for the advise!!!  :-)

I actually had an appt with Dr Barnes yesterday,a nd after talking with her, she stated that  I don't have to have my psyc visit for my insurance, so it doesn't really matter what the "shrink" thought, cause I really didn't need it!  :-)  But I still going to get a 2ed optinion just to get a few things straightened out!!!

Thanks for replying! 

lilbets
on 1/29/10 5:41 am
Ready or Not,

With a 130 lb loss, I'm sure you're pretty hot and sexy these days.  That's quite an accomplishment and life change.  Try to stay positive with your progress -- you're on the right track!!!  My congratulations to you on your tremendous success thus far!!!!

Take another look in the mirror -- you are BEAUTIFUL!!!

Sorry for not having any suggestions on meds.

lilbets
on 1/29/10 5:51 am
Jessica,

Please let me suggest you read The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide, by David J. Miklowitz, Ph.D.  (c 2002).  Your library may already have a copy, or you can suggest they purchase a copy for your use.

This is by far the BEST book I've ever read on the subject and MOST helpful to me in learning, accepting, and living with this mental illness.

Also, please contact a hospital with a GREAT mental health department near you to get a referral for an excellent psychiatrist, who specializes in Bipolar Disorder.  I went thru three idiots over the past two years, until I found an excellent one this past spring.

Also, Good Luck on your WLS!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views