Major Depression Post-Op

GeekGoddessBeth
on 11/30/09 11:29 pm - North Ridgeville, OH
I had my RNY gastric bypass surgery October 6th, so I am nearly 2 months out. Ever since I got home from the hospital, I have been in a deep dibilitating depression, filled with anxiety and obsessive negative thoughts. I have had a depression like this before, so I know what it is, but I don't know how to get out of it. I have seen my psychiatrist, and my counselor and we have adjusted my meds several times now trying to find something that works. Has anyone else experienced this? I am crying everyday, and I don't know what to do.. I can't take much more of this! Any advice would be welcomed!
Jennifer M.
on 12/1/09 12:48 am - NY
I know exactly how you feel. For the longest time I was so depressed that I slept for days, and when I wasnt sleeping, I was on the couch laying down or crying for no appearent reason. Do u have a good friend to talk to? Have you tried writing your feelings in a journal? It helps me to get thoughts down on paper. Also you may just need one good cry.. There's nothing wrong with crying. Are you on antidepressants? Maybe u need a different one??

Just my two cents

Love always, Jennifer

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~ Susan B. Anthony

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Kathy P.
on 12/2/09 3:48 pm - Port Orchard, WA

Hey Beth,
  sorry to hear you are feeling so down. Your body, and entire system, has just gone through a HUGE trauma. If you were prone to bouts of depression pre-op, then it isn't too surprising you are having a major depressive episode post op. Recovery is slow.
Sounds like  you are on meds. Depending on the type of meds (SSRI'S, tricyclic antidepressants, etc.) you will need them adjusted quite often due to your rapid weight loss that is kicking in. Two months out is still healing period, physically. Add to that the emotional toll that wls puts on us, with hormone flutuactions, changing dietary needs, the toll of malabsorption...good grief...the list goes on.
Now is the time for you to really be mindful of your emotions, and how you are feeling physically. I'm sure you are working closely with your counselor/therapist, probably on some DBT skills? Being mindful of your physiological responses to daily stressors?  It will get better. As your energy level starts to increase (which can take time after surgery...remember...major TRAUMA to  your body), you will start to feel better.  Try to be in a lot of light during the day as well....bright lights (maybe a light box?), and get some movement going.
Work on re-framing your obssessive negative thoughts...there's always a way, and you may just need to brainstorm with someone with whom you feel "safe".
Lastly hon, it is okay to cry. Give yourself pemission to feel these complex and mixed emotions in a safe way. You've are brand new to a life changing journey to better physical health...which, if you put your energy to it, will also lead to better emotional health.  You can do it...

Giant Hugs....
Kathy 

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
Kathy P.
on 12/2/09 3:49 pm - Port Orchard, WA
P.S. Just looked at your avatar again...You have beautiful eyes!
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views