Lamictal and weight gain... :(

MistyLynn81
on 10/29/09 2:48 am - LaGrange, KY
I started Lamictal in July, since then I've put 30 lbs on (10 after my last increase), I just had to increase today and I'm terrified. Those 30 lbs are gonna be hard nough to get off. I've got an appointment with my psychiatrist on the 10th. This is NOT helping my Bulimia or the fasting/restricting activities at all. I'm taking even more laxatives, diuretics. I'm just really screwed up right now. My normal daily intake is around 600 calories on a good day and typically that includes purging at least once or twice or so, I was told to take half the calories away for everything I purge because I still get some from it. Typically I keep it down round 2-300. I'm exercising.

I'm new here but my dx's are Bulimia, GAD, BPD, Bipolar and major depressive disorder. I have been struggling with the ED since 6 months post op (and I had a lot of complications sooo this has made things worse). I have a great treatment team that includes a DBT therapist, ED therapist, psychiatrist, my surgeon, my surgeons dietitian and my PCP. Since we don't have 50k to get into an inpatient/residential treatment for the ED we're trying to treat it on an outpatient basis. Right now to make sure my electrolytes and crap are okay they're making me have labs done twice a week. So far other than my HGB and HCT (which have always been low) dropping from 11.4 to 10.2 in two weeks my electrolytes have been "ok" which means JUST barely normal but normal nonetheless. I'm kinda worried bout how fast the HGB and all is dropping BUT it's been 9 months since my last iron infusions and that could be pretty normal or the fact I've been having massive nose bleeds too. IDK but I'm soooooooooooooooooooo tired of all of this.

The weight gain has me terrified at this point, I had to buy pants a size bigger than I normally wear because I got rid of most my fat clothes. If they don't take me off the Lamictal I will definitely be back to my beginning weight in 4-5 months seriously the way things are going.

Anyways enough whining from me... Just wanted to introduce myself a little bit and vent.
(deactivated member)
on 10/29/09 3:06 am
(deactivated member)
on 10/29/09 3:08 am
MistyLynn81
on 10/29/09 3:24 am - LaGrange, KY
Geodon and Risperdal both sent me into full blown Psychosis.

I'm on Cymbalta 60 MG 2x daily
Propranolol 40 mg 2x daily for anxiety
1 mg of Klonopin 2x daily
Then the Lamictal I switched to 175 today... I wouldn't blame the Lamictal except EVERYtime I increase I'm gaining 10 lbs within 2 weeks, I'm not binging, I'm not over eating at all or anything so I just don't understand it.
(deactivated member)
on 10/29/09 5:39 am
Jennifer M.
on 10/31/09 2:23 pm - NY
Hi I have been on lamictal for almost 2yrs and I haven't noticed any significant weight gain. A month ago I was lowered in doses for it I was on 400mg and now down to 300mgs. Hope this helps.

Love always, Jennifer

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~ Susan B. Anthony

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
MistyLynn81
on 10/31/09 3:27 pm - LaGrange, KY
Thanks for responding. I was told by the pharmacist who works with my psychiatrist and all that only 1-3 % have gained with Lamictal and have talked to a couple people who have gained with it.

It really is the ONLY thing I can figure out as being the cause since my weight increases everytime the Lamictal does. *shrug* I'm not overeating, I'm not eating much at all actually. I'm just scared of ending up where I was before my surgery.
Corgi Mom !.
on 11/8/09 11:05 pm - sunny, FL
Misty, 

I haven't heard of any problems with weight gain with Lamictal.  I take 200mg and have for about a year.  I have an ED and have been inpatient.  For restriction and BIpolar disorder.  I take seroquel which is suppose to put on weight.  Do you think your Bulimia may be screwing with your metabolism or you are on the other side with the binge eating and it is not the Lamictal?  Anyhow I am sorry you are going through this I really understand how hard it is and I will keep you in my prayers.
MistyLynn81
on 11/8/09 11:51 pm, edited 11/8/09 11:51 pm - LaGrange, KY
I don't binge. I'm sure my metabolism is shot too (I restrict also) .

The only answer we can come up with based on my food journals and stuff is it having to be the Lamictal.. Every time theres an increase I gain.

I just feel like a mess right now and had to reschedule my med check for tomorrow because I've got the flu now.
Corgi Mom !.
on 11/9/09 2:31 am - sunny, FL
Sorry you are feeling bad hope you can figure it out.;  I know how frustrating it is.  I have not had to deal with gain but the fear and the whole ED and bipolar really is frustrating as is getting the meds tweaked.  Keep us posted.
Corgi Mom
RNY
3/16/05
287/129  bmi 20.2 height  5'7"
Loss is good Maintanance is GREAT
Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views