bipolar and lapband surgery

jjoajes
on 10/5/09 12:58 pm - laurelton, NY
I was just wondering did anyone have trouble getting approved because you are bipolar or have some mental health issue??? I'm afraid I wont get approved because I'm bipolar
poet_kelly
on 10/6/09 10:42 am - OH
Being bipolar will not keep you from getting approved.  They will want to see that your condition is stable and that you are taking your meds, if you are supposed to be taking meds.  But that's all.

Kelly
jjoajes
on 10/6/09 9:46 pm - laurelton, NY
Thank God that it wont-- I was def afraid of that getting in the way--- Because I wasnt going to tell my surgeon if it were to get in the way---thats how bad I want to get this surgery... Anyways thanks for your comments ---made me feel much better :)
K. kgbb
on 11/7/09 7:52 am
 I'm on disability because of chronic depression and acute anxiety attacks.  I was finally diagnosed with Bipolar II 2 years ago.
I'm on Lamictal, Cymbalta, Klonopin, and Buspar and I'm doing ok with no full blown anxiety attacks.  It didn't have any effect on being approved.  In fact, it never came up.
I was worried about it too, and I put all the info on the paper work and my meds I take, and no one even questioned it.

jjoajes
on 11/7/09 12:52 pm - laurelton, NY
WOW  that is good to know-- well thank you and I hope you had a successful surgery... I will add you as a friend
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/09 1:31 am - Henrico, VA
Im on disability for bipolar and had no issues. After surgery though (during the really rapid weight loss phase) i had a few "moments" but nothing too horrible. And actually they are lowering my meds and i have been taken off my anxiety meds completely.
(deactivated member)
on 11/12/09 6:14 am - Moreno Valley, CA
I'm on disability with bipolar, too.  To be honest, they had me take a written test and I lied.  I was depressed, but have learned from years of being bipolar what they were really asking by their questions, so I gave them what they wanted to hear.

You will be fine.  I panicked about this too. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views