What gives with the BMI???

marieh
on 8/30/09 5:41 am - So. Easton, MA

I saw my surgeon for my 2 yr. surgiversary and weighed in at 170. I AM NOT AMUSED. I just checked my BMI and I'm at 30.1...STILL LISTED AS OBESE.  I NEED to get back into my recent post-op way of life and LOSE THE DAMN CARBS already. Today I've had a few shakes for 60 grams of protein so far...some grapes (I don't get nearly enough fruits and veggies) too much coffee and only ONE bottle of water....exercise?  Just the shopping cart push-a-thon at the market and 3 loads of laundry...with up and down two flights four times.  I have low fat, whole grain lasagne in the slow cooker and NO motivation to walk or lift weights.

I've got this weird association with weight lifting now. Last time I was a gym rat I was obsessed with lifting heavier, ignoring the pain I mistook for muscle string and had two heart attacks. NOT from over-exercising, from my diabetes. But the association is there. Each time I pick up weights I try to caution myself about over-doing it...learning moderation is a cast iron ***** for me!   (as everyone on this board I'm sure has their own addiction story to tell!)  I've stopped drinking, smoking, drugs, impulse shopping, baking sweets when stressed and beating myself up with guilt for not being perfect.  (who IS after all??) 

After all this work I'm stiff obese. In a size 12. Doesn't make a damn bit of sense to me, but Dr. Hess wants me down 10 more and I'm getting that desire to drop the lard slowly but surely. I'm just way wicked frustrated but thanks and letting me vent!

Marie

mittenfarm
on 8/30/09 11:06 pm - County Line, MI
I personally think BMI charts should be thrown out. I am a "normal"
 BMI, but I think I look like something out of a concentration camp! But the carb monster has gotten ahold of me too over the past month, and I have gained a few pounds. Not that I didn't probably need to, but I don't want it to go too far the other way either. So I am back to trying to behave myself today-probably shouldn't have made oatmeal raisin cookies yesterday! I also need to get back to exercising-I haven't done ANY in the past 2 or 3 months.
-Wanda

Highest -380  Surgery- 345     Goal- 150   Current-150     5 ft. 8 in.

marieh
on 8/31/09 10:14 am - So. Easton, MA
Hi Wanda!

I ate very low carb today...all protein and only 1c. of lasagne made with whole wheat noodles. Most of that 1 cup was cheese n meat goodness. I got home from work and walked a mile on the dreadmill...then had 74 MORE grams of protein in a shake with some cheddar cheese. I am getting better about 'just doing it' and no bemoaning the fact that I "used" to do much more...I'm trying not to beat myself up.

Getting back to basics will be the key for me to feel better and drop more weight. I just can't lose sight of the prize again.

Thanks for your encouragement!!!
Marie

Patricia R.
on 8/31/09 7:35 am - Perry, MI
Hey Girlie,
My surgeon suggests I only get 150-200 grams of carbs a day.  I cannot get off them though.  It's my substitute for alcohol right now.  

I also am needing more exercise, but with a broken toe, I am limited for now. 

I go back to work Tuesday...set up my classroom, sit in boring meetings, get ready for another year of fun with the homonal pimple cream population.

Hang in there.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 8/31/09 10:21 am - So. Easton, MA
Hey chickie!!

I finally walked...and had a hefty protein dinner of a shake and cheese...plus I had a small nectarine and prunes with breakfast. Not only am I not getting in enough veggies, but I'm way wicked low on fiber too. AND I got back to drinking water. Today I've had 60 ounces so far. I need to stop comparing now to what I used to manage.  I'm also trying to NOT bake from stress. I'm trying to detox ME and clear out my cupboards AGAIN to give myself the best chance. Course, I have Steve to think about too..and while he's a sweetheart about not bringing me pastries and junk food like he used to, he's still very much into crunchy carbs...and it's tough keeping away from HIS stuff once the bag is opened.  

Hormonal pimple cream population...LOL...gotta love it!!  The summer flew didn't it?? NOT fair!! But at least we got a few days of nice weather out of it!! :) Now I'm freezing again. I lost my 70 pound sweater and have to start wearing real coats instead of my Red Sox hoodie!! LOL...

Hugs,
Me

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 769 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views