Binging due to my depression. Any tips on how to stop?

Jackie McGee
on 8/21/09 4:28 pm - PA

I was diagnosed with bipolar type schizoaffective disorder in 2005 and prior to that, I had been diagnosed from an early age with various forms of depression.

I am almost 6 months post-op (lap RNY) and today, due to stress beyond my control, I have been eating way too much which scares me because prior to today, I haven't been able to tolerate the foods I am binging on. Today I've had macaroni and cheese mixed with tuna, oatmeal cookies, tons of skim milk and water, a bowl of ice cream and countless numbers of popsicles. I'm currently experiencing dumping, but I still want to eat.

I'm currently at work for another few hours or else I'd just go to sleep.

I do go to counseling once every two weeks and that has helped me up until now.

I am on meds, an antidepressant and an antipsychotic.

Any tips on what I can do to control the eating?

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Sarah D.
on 8/21/09 5:43 pm - Waynesville, MO
I have bipolar disorder and my main coping skill for bingeing is sleeping kinda like you. But if I cant sleep I do gum. Or envision the thinner me. There is a group on here called overcoming binge eating. It's a really good group. Try getting on there. I'm on it. It's really helpful, plus people who dont check this board are on there and they have tips better than mine. Muchlove
Sarah
Jackie McGee
on 8/21/09 5:45 pm - PA
Thanks Sarah! I'm going to look up that group now.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Patricia R.
on 8/21/09 10:16 pm - Perry, MI
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/overcomingbingeeating/discussion/

I visit the Overcoming Binge Eating Forum, and find it helpful.  I have been in therapy for twenty years for Binge Eating, Borderline Personality Disorder, Depression, Bipolar, and Alcoholism, just to name a few.  I also did outpatient treatment twice for eating disorders, and am currently in outpatient treatment for alcoholism.  Sometimes I feel discouraged that I am where I am after all these years of therapy.  But, then I look back to where I was twenty years ago, and see progress.

I have a list of coping skills that I sometimes use when I am tempted to self-destruct with food, or whatever.  Unfortunately, food is the hardest thing to resist, and rationalize.

Some books that have helped me include "the Beck Diet Solution" and "The Anatomy of a Food Addiction"

Hang in there.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views