Self soothing Skills

Catnip
on 8/16/09 7:01 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hi,

First i want to say how nice it is to see this forum being used. I check on it semi regularly and there were never many posts. It is nice to see people using this forum to help each other.

It a couple of the reccent posts people have talked about self soothing skills. This is the first time i have heard this term. I have looked it up online and have the idea. My question to you is...

What ways do you self sooth?

thanks
Catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Patricia R.
on 8/16/09 11:22 am - Perry, MI
Hi Catnip,
I have a variety of self-soothing skills in my arsenal.

1. Deep breathing exercises
2. Visualization exercises
3. Journaling
4. Physical Exercises
5. Crochet/Knit
6. Read a meditation book
7. Read my Coping Cards
8. Prayer

I have more, but these are my regular activities.  I must do these on a regular basis, not just in a crisis. 

Good Luck,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

susan in sugar land
on 8/16/09 10:00 pm - SUGAR LAND, TX
When I start feeling out-of-sorts, the first thing I do is to pick up my phone and call my sponsor and friends/mentors, that always works.  I also read, meditate, pray and write.  I have found that there are small phrases (ex:  one day at a time, take it easy, etc.) that really slow my head & heart rate down.
keri2008
on 8/27/09 8:41 pm - PA
Exercise
A hot bath
A guided meditation or visualization
Beading

regards, keri

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.  --Author Uknown

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views