Anxiety/Insmonia - 3 weeks post op - Help!

Elizabeth L.
on 8/12/09 5:57 pm - Rockford, IL
I'm having a really hard time getting to sleep - and staying asleep.  Many nights, when I've finally fallen to sleep, I wake up 1 to 2 hours later, with a sudden Anxiety/Panic attack.  I sometimes take Lunesta to help with sleep, but it does not always work.  I've also got Xanax to take for the anxiety, but have been told not to take it if I've already taken the Lunesta.  I have not taken Xanax in the past, and am a little worried about developing a tolerance or dependence on it.  Has anyone had similar issues, and how did you cope?  Thanks!!

Elizabeth Long

RNY: 7/2009, Height: 5' 5", Start Weight: 265, Goal Weight: 160

Patricia R.
on 8/13/09 10:03 pm - Perry, MI
I did not experience anxiety/panic after the surgery, but have had such episodes in my life.  I have also needed help with sleep, and in the past also been on Xanax for anxiety.

My first question would be to ask, who prescribed the Lunesta and Xanax?  Your primary doc, or a psychiatrist?  I would encourage you to discuss your symptoms with a psychiatrist.  Second, are you in therapy?  I would suggest you explore these episodes with a therapist.

What I have learned from my own experience is deep breathing exercises to cope with panic/anxiety.  I practice deep breathing several times a day, as well as when I am panicky.  Panic attacks only last about 6 minutes in general.  Deep breathing at the start helps get the oxygen to all parts of the body, which helps the body to physically respond to the rush of adrenaline.  That adrenaline is our fight or flight mechanism, and all the muscles tense up during that time.  The blood flow with oxygen helps relax them.  Plus, focusing on the deep breathing occupies the mind so the panic thoughts can't take over as much.

I hope this makes sense.  It has helped me tremendously.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

susan in sugar land
on 8/16/09 10:07 pm - SUGAR LAND, TX
I have had sleep (or the lack of) issues for a long time and my psychiatrist prescribed Trazadone (non-narcotic) and it works for me.  Be very careful with Xanax/Valium/etc. as they are addictive.  I know of what I speak....I had to be taken off of them too and I now live with tiny anxiety attacks vs. the ones where I thought that I couldn't breathe.  If you need to talk, pm me.  I've had some other issues going on that have given me the gift of learning how to cope with stress (life) with new skills.  As long as you're getting some sleep/rest you should be ok. 
walkin10
on 2/25/10 1:11 am - Los Gatos, CA
Best wishes to you as you go throught the surgery and recovery.
Laura C  -I love my tennessee walker  
mandajolyn
on 8/26/09 7:57 pm - Tallahassee, FL
I take 2 mg Klonopin daily to help stop the anxiety and I take Trazadone before bed for the anxiety and it helps. I have severe insomnia and have tried a lot of things. Xanax and other drugs like it are  short acting and only stays in your system for a short period of time. My Dr told me to take Klonopin regularly so that it can help prevent the anxiety attacks from happening instead of only taking it when I have a panic attack. Plus the Trazadone so that I can sleep better. I've tried Lunesta, Ambien and none of them worked for me.

I'm bipolar as well so I have to take my mood stabelizors along with the others and I sleep like a baby. I take a Low dosage of Seroquel, Tegratol, Trazadone and Klonopin and they work to help me relax and sleep through the night.

"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views