Has anyone asked OH...

beemerbeeper
on 8/7/09 6:57 am - AL
Has anyone asked OH to provide an addiction forum separate from the mental health forum?

The mental health forum is mostly just grateful posts interspersed with an occasional post about mental health issues.  I'm afraid the mental health needs are being overlooked by OH members because they forum is 99% an addiction support forum.

Just wondering. 

I'll post my mental health question and see if I get any responses.

marieh
on 8/9/09 6:31 am - So. Easton, MA

Hi!!  When I first joined OH, this WAS called the Addictions Forum.  We got a message some time ago that OH would change the name because addictions are a MH classification in the desk reference. (but don't quote me on that...the memory is NOT what it used to be).  Personally, I'm not so sure I agree with this, but I don't know which is looked on more poorly....the word 'addiction' or 'mental'.  Anyway....there you have it.  

Marie

Patricia R.
on 8/13/09 9:35 pm - Perry, MI
You are right about both things.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Patricia R.
on 8/13/09 9:34 pm - Perry, MI
Marie is right on both accounts.  OH changed this forum's name to Mental Health a while back, as it used to be the addictions forum.  AND, addictions are diagnoses in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, IV-TR, that psychiatrists and other mental health professionals use in treating mental illness.  Not to mention, for treatment, insurance companies tap into the mental health benefits for payments.

Hope this makes sense.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Lalocaweta
on 8/14/09 1:43 am - Spicewood, TX
Trish is right - OH used to have two separate forums.
Reality is that over 50% of those who have mental illness also have addiction issues. (I personally think it maybe an even higher percentage.)
Also, for some reason, many people still view mental illness as very negative while drug/acohol addiction is not quite so negative.

Anne
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views