Pre-menstrual dysmorphic disorder

Shelley L.
on 7/31/09 1:00 pm - overland park, KS

Has anyone been diagnosed with this? I swear this is what I have. I was doing fine up until about a week and half ago, and sure enough went into a super funk of depression right before my period. I've always had mild symptoms, but it just seems to be getting worse and worse. i'm currently on zoloft, was on 50mg and increased to 100 this last week. i dont think it's helping. I had surgery 8 mos ago and I'm skeptical of some of the meds working the same way they do in others. ya know? 

Has anyone had any luck with other meds to try for this? Unfortuntely the psychiatrist I was seeing, has closed her practice and it's been hell to try to get into another one. WHY do they only have appointments 2 mos in advance??? My regular doc wasn't much help, she gave me refills on some stuff, but that was about it. 

347/194-back up to 215/189  48lbs lost before surgery!

Lalocaweta
on 8/2/09 4:19 am - Spicewood, TX
Yes - I have. Actually - before I had my wls. My physician at the time had me on Zoloft also. Once I had the surgery - it simply no longer worked for me.
I then switched to Effexor TR and that worked for a little while and then quit working.
I am now on Pristiq (which is chemically similar to Effexor) and so far so good. (I have to let you know that I am also bipolar - so the meds are for treating that also.)
Shelley L.
on 8/2/09 10:36 pm - overland park, KS

Hmm, well hopefully I can get in to see a psych doc soon, in the mean time i'll stick with the 100 zoloft, but I really dont think it's helping much, i'm also taking clonazapam and ativan for anxiety and ambien for sleep, and believe it or not, i still dont sleep much, mostly related to my anxeity/depression at the moment. 

So maybe I'll mention effexor, and i know pristiq is new, i worry about insurance paying for that, i dont have bipolar, just depression and anxiety. 

i really dont think the clonanapam helps much, but i keep taking it until i see someone, cuz i just dont want to abruptly stop, ya know/

thanks for your advice.

347/194-back up to 215/189  48lbs lost before surgery!

Lalocaweta
on 8/3/09 3:34 am - Spicewood, TX
Pristique has a special discount card - so w/ insurance coverage it only costs $20.00. My initial diagnosis (and one of the doctors says it is right and the other says it is wrong) is Mental Depressive Disorder - and that is why they prescribed the Pristique - they kept me on it as if I am actually bipolar I do tend to be more depressive then manic.
I was taking ativan, but they took me off of it as it is a benzo and I have suffered from addiction in the past. They have me on what was originally a high blood pressure med and is now used as an anxiety med. However, one of my doctors is pushing me to take Xanax (he is very old school....)
Good luck.
Anne
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views