new, pregnant and have bipolar

pennisweet
on 7/26/09 9:40 am - Windsor, MO
I am new here, 36 weeks pregnant and have bipolar.  I have been off all my meds except Ambein and Prozac for 3 months before I got pregnant.  I can't wait until the night of Aug 20.-----c-section date.  I will go back on my meds that night.  My family can't wait until I can go back on them.  I have bipolar 2 and right now I feel like I will never be normal.  I usually go on the pregnancy forum but I thought I would visit here for some friendship and advice.  Thanks for being here and God bless, Penni
susan in sugar land
on 7/27/09 8:31 am - SUGAR LAND, TX
It must be difficult to be off your meds and hormonal!  August 20th will be here before you know it and you'll have a healthy baby to greet.  I hope that time flies for you. 
pennisweet
on 7/27/09 10:00 pm - Windsor, MO
Thank you for your concern, every little bit helps.  God bless, Penni
meloh
on 7/28/09 3:51 am - MN
 I'm not bipolar, but I have been on anti-depressents for years. I cut down to the minimum - I can't seem to completely get off. But I can understand not feeling right being off the meds you need. I know I am moodier and I get frustrated easier. Mix in hormones and I can be a complete mess at times!

Aug. 20 is coming soon! Make sure you keep in touch with your doctor and have good support from friends and family after the baby is born - you are at a higher risk for post-partum depression. 

Take care!

Melanie

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

mandajolyn
on 7/28/09 12:32 pm - Tallahassee, FL
My best advise would be to avoid as much stress as possible, surround yourself with things that make you feel at peace! It'll be here before you know it! I have bipolar one and my husband is dreading me being pregnant! Remember to breath and take it easy!!
Patricia R.
on 7/28/09 5:22 pm - Perry, MI
Congratulations on your soon to be born baby.  My daughter is about to deliver my second grandchild any day, and at this time has no diagnoses, and is very emotional, to say the least.  It is very challenging, but not impossible. 

My suggestion would be to practice some self-soothing skills to help you deal with negative emotions.  Schedule your days as lightly as possible.  Implement deep breathing exercises, and meditation if possible.  Take gentle walks, and clear your mind of any stressful clutter that crops up.  Avoid negative people who you know are triggers for problems.  Journal as much as you need to.  Talk to safe friends who will let you vent and not try to "fix" you.  Before you know it, your baby will be in your arms, and you will be back on your meds.

Be safe and keep us posted on your delivery.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Sarah D.
on 7/30/09 5:58 am - Waynesville, MO
I know what its like to be bipolar and off almost all meds. Its also hard being hormonal also. I know that just monthly periods are killer on my mental heath. I've never been pregnant, but I can only imagine. Right now I need atleast 3 mood stablizers to keep me at a happy level and will need to be off all of them if I get pregnant. Last time I was off all my mood stablizers was when I switched from depakote to lithium and that was hell. Like I said before I can only imagine. Just try and keep calm. The baby needs you to stay calm. I hope all goes well with the c-section and hopefully you meds wont be messed up for long after the c-section. I am praying for you.

Sarah
Shelley L.
on 7/31/09 12:49 pm - overland park, KS
sorry to hear you're are struggling. Congrats on your pregnancy, 36wks, you're almost there! I know how you feel, I take care of pregnant women and being off your meds all that time can be brutal! Remember to give yourself time to adjust, as those after delivery hormones can be wacky. Don't worry about your feelings towards your baby and make sure you have some help for a while, not only to phsycially recover from your c-section but to get back on track with your meds. Goodluck!

347/194-back up to 215/189  48lbs lost before surgery!

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views