New here...need some support

DyingInside
on 7/24/09 11:08 am - MI
Hi! I'm new here. My name is Melissa, I'm 20 years old and I had Gastric Bypass Surgery on December 8th 2008. My weight  was 270 when I had surgery, I am now down to 215 BUT I have lost 8 inches. I came to this site in hopes to find support. I have bipolar and depression and everyone keeps telling me I should have lost a lot more weight by now. My Surgeon (Dr. Michael Wood from Michigan) tells me I'm doing fine though. I am having some slight complications like a sharp upper abdominal pain they've done a cat scan it was fine. I also have blood in stool so I have to schedule a colonoscopy. If they still cannot find our what's wrong and my pain does not go away I have to have a surgery where they cut me open and look around to see what's wrong. I'm basically looking to make some supportive friends who can reassure me that I'm doing a good job. I'm not even 21 yet and I've had 5 different surgeries. I haven't had an easy life. As most obese people I was teased daily in high school I even had to eat my lunch in the restroom. I'd say I was mainly overweight because my thyroid wasn't working I had to have it removed because of a goiter. Anyways I'm gonna go please reply if your a kind sincere person whose intrested in being friends.
Britt W.
on 7/26/09 6:40 am - Republic, MO
i would be more then happy to talk to you you can email me at [email protected]   we have a lot in common in the mental health area.  so shoot me an email b/c i dont get on here that often.  my name is britt
Lalocaweta
on 7/26/09 7:04 am - Spicewood, TX
Melissa:

While I am much older then you (I have children older then you) I have had a number of complications combined with being bipolar and having PTSD. I have had 4 surgeries in the past 2 years and it is emotionally draining.

Hang in there - people on this forum are very supportive I have found.

Anne
pennisweet
on 7/26/09 9:35 am - Windsor, MO
Hello there!  This is my first time here as well.  I had gastric bypass back in 2004 and now I am having my fourth child.  I am doing o.k. except I am having to do it without my meds.  I also have bipolar and my c-section is Aug. 20.  The night if my surgery I will be going back on my meds!  I am getting my tubes tied and am excited about not ever having to go off my meds again.  I am certainly here for you if you want me to be, we all can use some support.  Good luck to you and God bless, Penni
shaunconnors
on 7/28/09 10:18 am - Millville, NJ
Sweetie, everyone loses at a different rate.  Your doctor is the only opinion you need to listen to.  He knows all the facts.  You are only 7 months out, give yourself a break.  I have also battled depression for years...things will get better, let your doctor get you healthy and then the weight will come off.  Good Luck, I'll keep you in my prayers.
Shaun

Patricia R.
on 7/28/09 5:26 pm - Perry, MI
I was about one year out when I had to have hernia surgery because of the incision I had.  Since that surgery, I have dealt with eating relapses and alcohol relapses.  I never reached my goal weight and have been battling a 30 pound gain since the day of my hernia surgery.  Nobody has had the gaul to mention what I should or should not have lost.  My doc is more concerned about my nutritional levels and my overall health.

Stick with your doc's guidance.  He is the medical professional.  Ignore and avoid negative people.  They are not your friends.  Your doc's opinion is the only one that matters.

hang in there and keep us posted on your progress.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views