My DAD is making things worse....

deannhuss
on 7/8/09 9:24 am - Pensacola, FL

I need a place to come where I can talk to people who understand my situation. I was diagnosed as being Bi-polar about a year and a half ago and ADHD about 2 years ago. I have suffered from depression since I was 13 and I am 30 now. Life has not been easy for me at all. I've been on and off medication since I was 15. I'll start taking medication and start feeling great and then I'll stop it cause I don't think I need it. Of course a few months later I am right back to being where I was before I started taking the medication. I was cursed with my grandmothers illnesses. It skipped my sister but, sure didn't skip me. My grandmother was the type that had everything wrong with her mentally that you can think of. She tried commiting suicide several times and was hospitalized constantly. She even had lots of shock treatments. Well, my dad says I am just like my grandma. That is a major insult. He ment it to be an insult. It hurt me very bad. I hate having mental problems but, I hate it worse when people put me down because of them. It's not something I can control without medication. My dad puts me down for taking medication. He says I am a druggie and a hypochondriac. I feel that it is necessary to take the medications I take. They all serve a purpose. Now that I know how my dad thinks I really feel like a piece of **** When I go to take my medicine I think of what he said and it makes me just want to throw it away. He has been really mean to me lately. My heart is just broken into a thousand pieces. Why can't he just be there for me. I need all the support I can get from my family. Now, I can't even stand to be near my dad. I hate mental issues...  

Cherilishious
on 7/8/09 10:05 am

I'm sorry to hear all of that. I know what its like to have to live with that criticism. The first day out of the hospital from WLS I was making cream of chicken soup and my dad screamed at me about I'll probably be the first person to GAIN weight after WLS. That my fat ass didn't need soup I should just keep drinking water til I'm a size 2. I don't have any wise words of advise. I stopped taking what my dad says to heart a long time ago. I learned that the only person who's opinion mattered was my own. Just keep doing whats best for you cuz in the end its all that matters.

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/09 12:51 am
"Just keep doing whats best for you cuz in the end its all that matters"......amen to that!!!!!!   You have definitely come to the right place for support...you won't find criticism here, only understanding and caring fellow WLSers.  Although I am mainly a 'lurker' here, I have gotten to know many wonderful souls out here who sincerely care about each and every one of us.  Do not allow your father to discourage you from getting healthier....please!  Have a blessed day!  ~Debra~
Kathy B.
on 7/9/09 12:55 am - Pierre, SD
Just take a deep breath and blow it all off.  People will always try to sabotage you because they are not happy with their lives.  Concentrate on you and what you want and don't worry about what anyone else says, does or thinks!  You are an awesome person and I hope you get your surgery going soon!  Keep in touch lady!  Huge hugs to you!

Kat
Pre-op 325/Current 205/Goal 160

Sarah D.
on 7/9/09 10:36 am - Waynesville, MO
I TOTALLY understand what you are going through. My dad was the same way. It took me almost killing myself to get him to realize that I was sick and needed help. Not saying that is the ancwer to your problem, but it normally takes something big for them to realize that it is real and it isnt something stupid, or you could just pray it away (I'm still personally having problems with my grandparents who still want me to smile and everything is better or pray it away. But they also have their "nerve" pills). I have no clear cut ancwer for you. Just know that if you need to talk you can message me anytime and I will be there.

Muchlove
Sarah D.
beemerbeeper
on 7/9/09 11:33 am - AL
Please check out about.com's bipolar forums.  There are a lot of folks there who will understand exactly what you are going through.

I've been a member there for about 7 years and have gotten so much help there.

Becky

mike460
on 7/10/09 5:46 am - freeport, IL
RNY on 07/27/09 with
DONT LISTEN TO YOUR DAD IT SOUNDS LIKE HE IS THE ONE WHO HAS ISSUES TO TAKE CARE OF SO HE TRIES TO MAKE YOU FEEL BAD ABOUT YOUR SELF BUT DONT WE ARE ALL HERE FOR YOU I AM A FATHER MYSELF I COULD NEVER DO THAT TO ONE OF MY CHILDREN HE NEEDS HELP ABUSE ISNT JUST HITTING ITS ALSO MENTAL SO MAYBEE YOU SHOULD LOOK INTO ONE OF THOSE ABUSE PLACES THEY CAN HELP YOU WITH THAT SITTUATION I AM NOT TELLING YOU THIS SO YOU HATE YOUR FATHER MY DAD WAS ABUSIVE TO MY MOTHER AND US KIDS TILL I GOT BIG ENOUGH THAT HE NEVER HIT US OR ABUSED US AGAIN DONT GET ME WRONG I LOVED MY DAD BUT HE NEEDED HELP HE PASSED AWAY IN 1983 FROM CANCER BUT BEFORE HE DID HE REALIZED WHAT HE HAD DONE MAYBEE YOUR FATHER NEEDS A LITTLE HELP WITH HIS ISUES ALSO GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS

Michael A Thruman Sr

deannhuss
on 7/10/09 6:37 am - Pensacola, FL
Thank you....
deannhuss
on 7/10/09 6:39 am - Pensacola, FL
I want to THANK everyone who has been there for me. I really appreciate it !!!
mike460
on 7/10/09 11:45 am - freeport, IL
RNY on 07/27/09 with
NO PROB YOU NEED TO VENT SO ANY TIME YOU NEED SUPPORT YOU LOOK FOR ALL OF US HERE WE WILL SUPPORT YOU BECAUSE WE ALL NEED SUPPORT AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER GOOD LUCK AND BELIEVE IN YOURSELF AND LOVE YOURSELF AND ABOVE ALL SMILE IT MAKES YOUR DAY GO BETTER

Michael A Thruman Sr

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views