Bulimia plus Bipolar Disorder

Sarah D.
on 7/7/09 7:49 pm - Waynesville, MO
First off, I want to thank who ever started this forum. It has been very helpful. Now on to my situation. I am a constant binge eater and was told about a year ago that I can not have any surgery until I fix my binge eating. Thing is I am just getting settled into a new routine of meds that are working and still might be needing to be tweaked. After a BAD year and I do mean bad (two mental health hospitalizations within 2 months of eachother earlier this year), I want to work on my bulimia problem. I dont throw up much anymore, I've already beat that, but it's the bingeing. I want to have the RNY. Another problem I forgot to mention is that I still live with my parents and college age brother, plus I'm going to college also. I also cant find a Overeaters Anonymous within a reasonable distance of my house. Closest one is 50 miles away. What can I do? Anywhere else I can turn?
susan in sugar land
on 7/8/09 11:48 am - SUGAR LAND, TX
I am sorry your having such a hard time.  I don't know what to tell you.  You said that you're in college...check with them and see if they have counseling available.  Honestly, get your head, heart & soul worked on and then the rest will follow.

I wish you luck...

Nettie D.
on 7/27/09 2:08 pm - Purdy, MO
Sarah,

I have to tell you, I had Rny surgery in 2006. I am not bulemic, but I do binge eat. Yes, even with surgery you can still binge! Get the mental things and your eating disorder taken care of first, before going through with the surgery. I wish someone had told me that before I had my surgery. Then maybe it would have been more successful.

I initially lost weight, but after two years the eating disorder reared its head again and I've been struggling ever since. They talk about transfer addictions, but mine didn't transfer it transformed into grazing. I eat all the time now. To me it's the same as binging only I get the high more often. I hate hate hate it!

I hate to be blunt, but I know if I could do it over again, I'd do it sooo differently. I would have made sure I was in good health mentally, and emotionally, as well as physically. Honey, take care of that and everything else will come in its own time.

I wish I had OA closer to me as well. But since I don't, coming here and looking at the different forums and participating is helping some. Also I would suggest counseling, someone who specializes in eating disorders if you can find one. If you ever need to talk just message me. K.

Hugs,
Nettie
tedrajincy
on 9/16/10 10:52 am
Many people I know attend OA meetings online. You can even get an sponsor through the OA website that you can correspond with via email. That seems to really work for a lot of people. So maybe that is an option? I respect your bravery is facing these issues head-on and reaching out for help! I wish you the best!
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views