Medication Absorbtion

niddy21
on 7/6/09 11:44 pm - MA

Does anyone know if the RNY can alter the way medicaitons are absorbed? I have noticed that I am becoming increasingly anxious and depressed and have been on my Celexa since surgery. I am curious as to whether or not the malabsorbtion of nutrients also includes how medications are absorbed into my system.

Thanks,

Katie

kerniec
on 7/10/09 9:56 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Katie

I don't have a link handy to any articles, but Yes, it can definitely affect that.  Some meds (time release) I think are more vulnerable?

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

jaylynne51
on 7/13/09 2:15 pm
Have you always used Celexia and has it always worked for you?  I switched to Celexia from Lexapro because the prescription plan company requested it.  I spiraled down into the worst depression I had been in for years.  I finally figured out the problem, went back to Lexapro and am doing great.  Talk to your doctor!!  Don't wait. 

Jan
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/09 12:11 am
Hi Katie,
 Sorry about the delay in chiming in here, just found your post.
 Over the last 5 years, I have had to increase the dosages on ALL my medications, not just my antidepressant. I also switched to Wellbrutin from Lexapro and it's working awesome!! I would agree that you need to tell your doc about our malabsorbtion, it can definately be the "culprit" in the increase of your symptoms.
 Also, don't forget that you also experience an "overload" of emotions, after surgery. For almost 6 months, my moods were a little extreme, do to all the hormones, (which are stored in our fat cells) were being released into my system, cause of the weightloss.
 Hang in there, it gets better! Hope this helped.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views