Psych consult process if you have a mental illness??

beemerbeeper
on 7/6/09 10:35 am - AL
If you have disclosed to your surgeon that you have a mental illness have you had to have a different or more involved psych clearance than other patients without a mental illnes history?

Leslie C.
on 7/6/09 11:09 am - Kenner, LA
I did disclosed my addictions and depression to my surgeon. I did not have to go to any extra lengths to be approved for my surgery. My first appt was april 1 and I had surgery on June 25th. 

Good luck on your journey. Send me a message if you need support.

Hugs, Leslie

a person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it

HW 274/pre-op 266/NW210/GW160 5' 8"

ZenSharon
on 7/18/09 6:00 am - SW Ohio
If you are currently seeking therapy (with a therapist or psychiatrist), your surgeon may request a written clearance from either of them.  That is what my surgeon required.  I simply had my doc write a letter indicating that I was psychologically cleared for surgery and able to make informed decisions.  That is all.

I wish you the best!
beemerbeeper
on 7/18/09 7:38 am - AL
I would have loved to have had my treating psychiatrist write a note to the surgeon.  But no, he didn't want to hear from her.  He requires two independent psych evals.  I could understand requiring clearance from the treating psychiatrist (actually I don't understand NOT wanting that), I could understand requiring a more indpeth psych eval, but I don't understand requiring two standard psych evals.

Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views