Emotional Eater Without Food

Lorane3
on 6/25/09 3:59 am - Baraga, MI
I'm scared when I should be excited. My surgery date is August 3rd. I have been working towards getting bypass surgery for 9 years now and it is finally going to happen. But I'm an emotional eater and that part of me that reaches for food when I'm upset is really worried about what I'll do post surgery to sooth my anxiety and depression. During an earlier phase of preparing for surgery, I had a great counselor *****ally helped me put the emotional eating in perspective. However, I have had to move and she has left her practice. I have not been able to find a counselor/psycologist where I am now that I can connect with. How do other former emotional eaters out there deal with this fear and their issues post surgery?
susan in sugar land
on 6/26/09 1:21 am - SUGAR LAND, TX
You are already ahead of the game in that you are aware of what is going on.  I have learned through many years of therapy that finding the right therapist for me is like finding that perfect pair of jeans.  You sometimes have to try on a hundred pairs before you find the pair that makes your ass look fabulous!  lol Keep looking so that you are prepared.

As for emotional eating...be careful to not substitute alcohol as many have done.  I didn't do that because alcohol was a part of my life since I was 15 (I'm now 51) and along with a HUGE genetic predisposition for alcoholism so 17 months ago I went into Detox and once again, have been sober.  I have been sober for many years, many times but never educated nor admitted to myself how much of a problem this was.  This time around I've realized that I am playing Russian Roulette with drinking and that it is time to really stop.

I am a firm believer that "self-awareness" is a huge part of any problem that anyone can have.  Denial is a strong, powerful destroyer and I honestly think that with the right support, you'll do great.

Ask your former therapist for a referral in your area.  Chances are that if she thinks highly of someone, so will you.

All the best of luck to you...

Hugs,
Susan

Lorane3
on 6/26/09 1:28 am - Baraga, MI
Thanks for the support and the jeans analogy. That's a great one.
susan in sugar land
on 6/26/09 3:21 am - SUGAR LAND, TX
Anytime, anytime...if you ever need to "talk" IRL, just PM me...

Susan
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views