Pet Therapy

Patricia R.
on 6/24/09 2:01 pm - Perry, MI
I got a dog about a week ago, and he has been more than just a pet.  He gets me off my butt exercising, and loves me unconditionally, something I had missed terribly since my last doggy died 9 years ago.

I am adjusting to a lot of changes in the past few weeks.  New doggy, new sponsor, and my school year finally ending on the 25th.  I have 17 days sober today.  I also managed to get through today without consuming any refined sugar, which is a huge feat for me since my relapse cycle started 18 months ago.  I learned exactly how much sugar I could get away with and not dump.

I am still in my treatment program, participating in group once a week.  I got positive feedback from the group therapist about how I supported a new girl as she dealt with a lot of emotional pain from her mom.  It was nice to hear.

So, I just thought I would recommend that anyone struggling with recovery, get a doggy.  Between the exercise and the love, my whole attitude has done a healthy 180 degree turn.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

susan in sugar land
on 6/26/09 1:11 am, edited 6/26/09 1:11 am - SUGAR LAND, TX
I am so happy for you and your new BFF and wanted to share a story with you.  When I came home from Detox (only 3 nights and 4 days, who'd have thunk that I actually wanted to stay for 30 days!  (Ins. didn't cover it)) I was so fragile and freaked out and my family was angry, hurt, etc.  I remember thinking that any recovering addict of any kind, has to have a dog!  She loved me, even as messed up as I felt and she sensed that something was up and hung close to me.  There is something so incredibly calming about touching and being with an animal that "adores" you no matter what.  "She" is a 70 lb. rescue named Marley...my oldest daughter brought her home because a shelter was going to kill her due to mange.  We have now had her for over 5 years and I cannot imagine life without her.  She truly is my best friend.  If that sounds sad or pathetic, it's not.  How rare is totally UNCONDITIONAL love?  Pretty rare IMHO.  

Having said all that, if you are contemplating a dog, it's almost like raising a child.  You have to work hard for the first year or even two to teach the dog what you expect from it but once that's done...OMG, what a companion you'll have.  I've learned a lot from volunteering at an animal shelter (that and having a dog for 25+ years) but also watching Cesar Milan on the Dog Whisperer.  Anyway, get a mutt or a rescue, save a life, also you can sometimes, more often than not, avoid a lot of breed specific health issues.

Trish, what kind of dog did you adopt?  Marley is a Shar-Pei, boxer and ??? mix and can easily reach food from the counters if she wants.  In her mind she is a toy breed and thinks that the new couch is just for her comfort!

Keep us updated on your new friend and if you can, post some pics.  I would if I knew how but the kids are so busy that getting them to help is virtually impossible.  lol.

Hugs,
Susan

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 6/29/09 10:20 pm
I have three dogs and I hope to never live without dogs again.

I love cats, too, but am getting more allergic as the years go by so I don't live with them any more.

very glad you got a dog. now you have to take care of yourself  so you can take of him.

what's his name?

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Patricia R.
on 6/30/09 1:58 am - Perry, MI
I forgot to tell his name....It is Utley, after the Phillies All-Star Chase Utley.

He and I are getting a ton of exercise.

Thanks,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 6/30/09 2:38 am
Utley! that's good.

dogs = love

and what could be better for us?

the exercise is a bonus.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views