Chronic Relapsing and Sponsors

Patricia R.
on 6/19/09 2:18 pm - Perry, MI
Well, it has been a solid 18 months since my first relapse with alcohol after over six years sober.  I have been in outpatient treatment for my alcoholism since October of 2008.  The longest length of time I have had sober since 18 months ago was just over 3 months, and that was last year.  

Most recently, I stopped drinking in January and began seriously working with a terrific sponsor, who had me doing stepwork like I had never done before.  I had a relapse with painkillers in March, because I got hooked on them after some surgery.  I then had another one day relapse on June 7th, two weeks ago.  

Well, last Saturday, my sponsor hit me with some news I was anticipating, but praying would not happen till I was more stable in my recovery, like having completed the steps.  She had put her house on the market, and she got an offer last week, and hopes to move to Florida by August.  So, she asked me to find a new sponsor, as she needs to focus her energies on her move and transition to the new location.  UGH!!!!!  I have trouble with abandonment issues and that was what had triggered all of my drinking, especially the past year and a half.

So, God was good in that I was able to find a new sponsor right away, but her style is just so different than my previous one.  Plus, I have found that my sponsors always seem put off by my training and careers.  

So, I am just adjusting to my new sponsor and dealing with my emotions, again. 

Just needed to share, because I am sure I am not the only person who has had weight loss surgery and has alcohol issues come up.

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 6/21/09 3:42 am - So. Easton, MA
Hi Trish!!

I'm glad you found a new sponsor so fast!! Give this time...she or he is different from your last sponsor, and will give you an additional viewpoint along with additional support. I have a good feeling about this new adventure!! :) I believe that God brings certain ppl into our lives with a purpose for us AND them. :) Don't deny each other the lesson and teachings.

Yesterday at temple my name was mentioned for "refuah shelayma" or healing of the spirit and body.. I kept refusing to ask the Rabbi to do this for me as while I might be having a rough time iwth my diabetes, there are so many who need more help than I do. My husband (the Shaman) reminded me that I'd be taking away someone's chance to learn from their actions. In the Jewish faith this is talked about too...about not denying someone the ability to do an act of kindness. It was a very powerful day for me, as the fact that whether Native American, Italian Sicilian and Jewish and whatever religious beliefs we might have, WE are all connected. Not a new concept I know...but my point which took me an hour to GET to here, is that this new sponsor will bring you new lessons, teachings, gifts, and new things to learn about your journey. Embrace every bit of it!! :) 

Hugs,
Marie

Patricia R.
on 6/21/09 10:21 am - Perry, MI
Thanks Marie.  I am learning to trust the process, and I even told my old sponsor that I did not believe that God was making a mistake by allowing thing to happen the way they are.  

The 12the step is all about the idea that helping others helps us stay sober.  So, when someone calls me for help, I am helped.  I bless someone by seeking their help. 

I love you tons, thanks for always being there for me.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

susan in sugar land
on 6/23/09 3:04 am - SUGAR LAND, TX
Patricia,

I wanted to thank you for your support on this board and with your honesty and candor.  I have come to believe a couple of things...a good therapist/sponsor is like trying to find that perfect pair of jeans that are going to make your ass look fabulous...you have to try a lot of them on before you find the right fit!   At times I think that it's even worse than trying on bathing suits!  lol

Something will work out for just as it is meant to be.  Keep posting and take care of yourself.

Hugs,
Susan

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views