Pysch Eval postponed my surgery date

LeaAnne
on 6/14/09 3:32 am

Hi Gang,
I'm really just needing a place to whine for a minute. (thanks for indulging me) 
I had my pysch eval last Thursday and the Dr. said she's holding onto my paperwork and will clear me... in 8 weeks (and pending my progress with my psychologist).  I was totally honest with her during the evaluation (I'm a crappy liar so I don't even try).  I started seeing a pyschologist that specializes in eating disorders and bariatric patients for my emotional eating before I even made my consultation appointment with the surgeon.  Turns out, my pyschologist and the one that evaluated me are acquaintances. The psychologist that evaluated me said she wants me to see mine for two months more before she clears me. (And she wants regular reports from her to monitor my progress.)  I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it  like "thank God they're looking out for my long term success", but really, I'm bummed.  What's more is that my pyschologist isn't crazy about the idea of me having gastric bypass since I already have the band.  When I told her my decision for revision, she asked why I wanted to do that when I failed at losing weight with the lapband.  I tried to explain to her that I got pregnant only 4 months after my lapband (yes, I was on birth control but I also took antibiotics for a bad sinus infection and the pill failed!).  My ob/gyn had me unfill my band and then I had a bad infection from my c section that had me unable to exercise or diet for 4 more months post partum.  The post partum depression along with my pregnancy weight gain and now disformed stomach are what caused my emotional eating to amp up.  I do have some restriction and I am exercising but the weightloss is incredibly slow (only 4 or 5lbs a month).

A major part of the reason for my depression is my weight and while I start working on the physical issues with the doctors and nutritionist, I can also work with her on my emotional issues and stress management.  She wasn't convinced and I got a 45 minute lecture about personal responsibility and how I think the bypass is going to be the magic bullet that fixes my life.  Until my psych eval, I was planning to look for another pyschologist this week.  The psychologist that evaluated me wants me to continue with this doctor in particular because she feels that she really "gets it".  (She actually refers many patients to her.) 

Am I being a big baby about this or is this the reality check I need?  I don't think I'm kidding myself about the part I played in the lack of results I've received from my lapband.  I don't even consider the procedure a failure.  At this point, I need to lose 200lbs and the lapband isn't going to help get me to goal before additional medical issues pop up due to my obesity. Conversely, I'm not kidding myself about the poor habits I have regarding emotional eating and coping with stress with food.  This is why I sought help from a professional before I went to a surgeon. I have an appointment with my psychologist on Monday evening and I'm rearranging my life to plan for surgery at the end of August instead of next month.  I hope she doesn't kill my dreams of being physically and emotionally healthy.

Ok, I'm finished whining.

thank you,

Lea

Patricia R.
on 6/14/09 7:31 am - Perry, MI
I have been in psychotherapy for almost 20 years.  I started therapy to deal with my eating disorder, as I was binge eating and grazing...I eventually learned I also needed to attend AA.  I have been through two intensive outpatient eating disorder programs, and kept gaining weight from outside issues triggering my eating. 

Your therapist sounds just like mine, a good hard ass.  That's what I need, and I am so grateful he does not let me slide and makes me take responsibility for my behavior and emotions.  I also have some psychiatric diagnoses, and the meds for that help and hinder my progress at times.

I don't know how old you are, but I did not have my RNY till I was 48.  I was not convinced about WLS till then.  If you are younger than that, you have time to work on your thinking patterns and behavior modifation, because those two are key in ensuring your success.  Yes, I know that having it sooner rather than later will make you feel better physically and look better, but the operation is on your stomach, not your brain or emotions.  I am three years out and having a very difficult time because of relapsing with my alcoholism and returning to old eating behaviors which are undermining my success.

My suggestion is to keep a food diary and be totally honest with it.  Start doing some self-examination of your eating behaviors each day, and learn of your emotional triggers.  There are also a slew of coping strategies that you can learn and implement to help deal with those emotions. 

Hang in there.  Patience is not one of my strong points either. 

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

beemerbeeper
on 6/16/09 1:25 am - AL
Hi,

I think your team are looking out for your best interests.

My question is why are you even persuing a RNY bypass after having the failure with the band when there is a procedure with much better long term results???

I know that if I had a band or a RNY I would eventually be a failure as I would regain the weight.  I don't HAVE to have surgery to LOOSE weight my problem is KEEPING it off.  Hence I have applied to have the DS.

But I'm just a newbie so I may not understand.

Becky (waiting) in NC
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 6/16/09 10:11 pm

I don't have any thoughts about what is best, just wanted to say it sounds very frustrating.

keep your eyes on your long-term goals and, yes, check out the DS surgery. my understanding is you might have to fight to get it but there are folks on the DS board who would help with that.
at least go check out the DS forum

Jackie

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

LeaAnne
on 6/18/09 3:02 am
Thank you all for your caring and kind words.  I did look into the DS but my insurance said they wouldn't cover it.  I'm working with my pyschologist.  I'm keeping a food diary and an emotional journal.  In five years, this two months will only be a memory of a hiccup in my schedule...
thanks again.
beemerbeeper
on 6/28/09 3:45 am - AL
There are a lot of folks on the DS forum who were denied by insurance but appealed the decision and won.

Please don't let insurance dictate your healthcare.  There are insurance experts on the DS forum who will be more than happy to help you.

Becky in NC

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views