Pre-Op

Katriina
on 6/8/09 5:36 am - AK
Did anyone else have to "Establish a relationship" with a psychiatrist/counsler etc. when they seen the psych. from the surgeons office? I'm not really sure why she did this, but it's preventing me from going any further with my surgery until I get in to see a psychologist.

Patricia R.
on 6/8/09 6:59 am - Perry, MI
I am not sure I understand your question.  I had my psych eval done by my personal psychiatrist.  I was already in psychotherapy for many years prior to my surgery.  If they are recommending you get into regular therapy, I am supportive of that.  There is usually, more times than not, an underlying psychological issue beneath the overeating that caused our weight gain.  A good therapist can help bring those issues to light.  As we say in our support group, the surgeon operates on our stomach, not our heads.  We still have whatever it was that made us eat like we did after the surgeon is done his/her work.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Leslie C.
on 6/8/09 10:45 am - Kenner, LA
Hey Katrina,

I am 100% positive everyone has to have a psych eval before surgery.   Cross addictions are very very common!!!  They just want to make sure you can handle whats coming.

I hope this helps.
Leslie

a person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it

HW 274/pre-op 266/NW210/GW160 5' 8"

Katriina
on 6/8/09 10:56 am - AK
She had already evaluated me. This was towards the end of the session. Thanks though.

LeaAnne
on 6/18/09 3:20 am
Hi Katriina,
I don't think what you're describing is uncommon.  In fact, when we were in our "psychological orientation"  we were told ahead of time that at our evaluation we may be either 1) cleared for surgery 2) cleared with recommended therapy or 3) postponed pending therapy and further evaluation.  They told us that about 50% are cleared with no problem, 45% are cleared with recommended therapy and only 5% are postponed.  I was personally cleared with recommended therapy.  I already had an established relationship with a psychologist so I just continue seeing her until the 8 week recommendation is complete and then the hospital's psychologist will release me for surgery. 
The hospital's psychologist recommends patients for therapy to help us deal with emotional eating, untreated psychological issues, stress management, etc.  My problem is emotional eating and stress management.  When she reviewed my paperwork she said "Wow, you've got alot going on! How are you going to manage taking your vitamins, exercising, eating right?"

Hope that helps.
Lea
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views