Bi Polar and medications?!?!

natalie1975
on 6/8/09 9:56 am - Yardley, PA
I was diagnosed with bipolar, anxiety disorder and severe depression a couple of years ago. after trying a quite a few traditional meds/combos, none of which helped, i am currently on something that actually works (and no, absolutely no weight gain...i am very cognisant of that issue myself):

adderall--60mg/day (commonly perscribed for add, which i also have but there is some new medical evidence that it helps some patient with bipolar)--works great for me

klonopin-4mg/day--anti-anxiety (so may not appply to all bipolar patients)

ambien-10mg--occasional insomnia
Marilyth
on 6/10/09 4:41 am - Troy, NY
I have the same problem.  The ****tail I am on includes medications that contribute/cause weight gain, or make loss VERY difficult.

One medication my doctors tried was Topamax, specifically because one of the side effects is weight loss/loss of appetite.  Unfortunately I have an allergy to one of its components, so I can't take it.   When I spoke with my therapist about alternatives, she mentioned that the "butrins" tend to help with the increased appetite/weight gain issue.  I know that there aren't many people with bipolar whose docs Rx the "butrins" because they (IMHO) are a lighter weight medication for the rapid cycling.

Good luck!!!!

beemerbeeper
on 6/12/09 10:52 am - AL
What in the world are the "butrins"??

Welbutrin? 

My psychiatric medications over the last 11 years have contributed to my weight gain, but I take serouqel and will continue to take it as it has kept me stable for several  years.

Lalocaweta
on 6/10/09 11:22 pm - Spicewood, TX
I am on Pristiq and Depakote. My thought process is that if I gain 10 to 15 pounds from them, but am able to function normally and my bi-polar is not destroying that ability in me - than that is far more important then the weight gain.
(deactivated member)
on 6/12/09 9:34 pm - NH
I am a year out from surgery, look at my weight loss, however I am newly diagnosed as Bipolar and BPD, am on Seroquel for 6 weeks so far and have lost 7  lbs in the 6 weeks.     I do not feel an increase in appetite.

What are the butrins?              All I can think of is wellbutrin???

beemerbeeper
on 6/16/09 1:29 am - AL
Jen,

I noticed that you said your were recently dx with BP and BPD and I wanted to invite you to check out the bipolar forums on about.com.  They are pretty helpful.

Becky (waiting) in NC
(deactivated member)
on 6/14/09 7:25 am
mandajolyn
on 6/18/09 1:21 pm - Tallahassee, FL
Depakote causes weight gain, I gained almost 150 pounds since being put on that medication!! I was working out 6 days a week, eating all natural diet and still gaining!! Do some research and you will find that there are medications for Bipolar that don't cause weight gain. Try a few different things. http://psychcentral.com/it's VERY helpful website!! Hope you find what works!! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views