Bi Polar and medications?!?!

vmidiri
on 6/6/09 2:56 pm - north babylon, NY
idk where to start, i guess w/ i am 3 months out rny gastric bypass. i was previously diognosed with bi polar disorder and bpd. when going for surgery i had stoped my meds about a few weeks befor hand. now i think i mite be needing medication again. only problem is the clinic i go to the doc dosent really know much about my surgery. i need medication but i dont want to gain weight while i am still working on loosing. i didnt have this surgery to go backwards. previously i was on seraqul and lexapro. but now like i said i need to find a medication that dosent effect my weight. if anyone knows of any please let me know.
Kathy P.
on 6/6/09 4:34 pm - Port Orchard, WA
In my experience, Lexapro did not result in weight gain. You may want to ask your psychiatrist about Abilify, Depakote, Lithium.  The meds don't make you gain weight. They may have properties that cause your body to retain water. They may increase your appetite. Just remember to use your tool (pouch), and up your water. Also, as you have weight loss, dosages may need to be adjusted. Depakote and Lithium require blood draws to check levels.

Just work closely with  your doc. Better to have your meds on board, for emotional stability, as your progress through this journey of better health, and lighter body!

Best of luck to ya!
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
vmidiri
on 6/7/09 6:08 am - north babylon, NY
I mean no disrespect, but aren't you a social worker? last i checked that didn't require medical school. as for asking my psychiatrist that was already in the works. also i thought i would inform you of medication seeing as you seem to not understand or know much about what your talking. Lexapro for one. does tend to cause weight changes.which can include retain; water gains weight. hence if you read from this article you will find that weight changes is a side effect  http://www.drugs.com/lexapro.html. Also from personal experience with being on several different medications for bi polar and bpd depakote can also cause weight gain. as you can see in this article http://www.drugs.com/depakote.html. and as for lithium doctors rarely prescribe this medication due to all the more sever side effects that can occur. one of which in high doses lithium can cause high amounts of toxins which lead to death. but now that i have schooled you. please i suggest if you want to give people your personal opinion that's fine. but that's all it is. your not a professional doctor. nor do i think unless you have been on several medications yourself do you qualify to speak about medications to people. thanks.
beemerbeeper
on 6/12/09 10:48 am - AL
I don't know you, but this is a public forum so I am commenting on your post.

Your comments were out of proportion to the post you were replying to.  The poster was trying to be helpful and your reply to her was over-the-top.

I have bipolar disorder and take seroquel which is a noted weight gaining med.  I plan to keep taking it and would never discontinue it for weeks before surgery.  What possible reason would there be to discontinue it?  I may miss a couple of doses while I am taking major pain meds in the hospital, but I don't plan to miss more than 3 doses.

Whoever advised you to stop your psychiatric meds gave you some bad advice. 

And no, I am not a medical professional.  This is my opinion as a mental health consumer.

Patricia R.
on 6/7/09 8:38 am - Perry, MI
I had been on Lexapro and did all of my surgery weight loss while on it.  I agree with Kathy, that the meds may cause some water retention, and increased appetite, but they do not actually cause the weight gain, eating causes it.  I am also a clinical social worker and have been trained to work with clients.  I am also formerly borderline personality and also bipolar. 

Lashing out at Kathy is not helpful.  I have been down the road you are traveling and now, almost three years out, can only share my experience.  If your current psychiatrist does not know how the meds are going to work, then you have several choices.  One is to find a psychiatrist who has experience with WLS patients.  Two is to ask your psychiatrist to work with you while you learn what your body adjusts to and does not adjust to.  Three, stay off meds and continue to lash out at the people here who are offering their experience and help.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Kathy P.
on 6/7/09 12:57 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Lash away. You posted a topic for discussion, and I responded based on my experience and knowledge base. No, I am not a social worker. I am a Licensed Mental Health Counselor, and work closely with psychiatrists and psychiatric nurse practitioner's (ARNP'S) for over  years. Part of the course work, and requirements IS knowledge of psychopharmacology, particularly because of the testing, assessing, and monitoring of medications in an inpatient and outpatient setting.  I am not representing myself as a M.D., which of course a psychiatrist is, again, just posting to your topic.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.

Kathy P.
on 6/7/09 12:59 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Thanks for the back-up Trish, glad you are doing well!
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.

Patricia R.
on 6/7/09 2:29 pm - Perry, MI
Anytime Kathy.  I am a licensed social worker, and had to present on psychopharmacology in a class in graduate school.  I also do group therapy in a psychiatric hospital part time.  Like you, I don't give medical advice, but advise patients what questions to ask their doctors as you did.
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Kathy
on 6/7/09 11:02 pm - Hamilton, NJ
I take Geodon 60 mg at night.  No weight gain, no side effects other than a good night's sleep. Get the help you need.  Research the meds.  Lexapro did nothing for me.  I also take Effexor in the AM.  I am quite stable with my moods.  Kathy
angelitamay
on 6/8/09 5:15 am - Anderson, CA
I have diagnosed BPD and Major Depression.  I take Geodon, Topamax and Liquid Prozac, all with no weight gain and no side effects.  Good luck to you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views