Stressed now ...taking away Cymbalta

cutepuppy
on 6/3/09 5:08 am - Manhattan Beach, CA
I have to face up to it.  They are going to take away my Cymbalta.  After years and years of taking this or that tricyclic, finally Cymbalta came along and changed my whole outlook.  It was prescribed to me, in addition to Lyrica, by my rheumatologist.  What a difference!!!  Yes, I'm still in pain, but I'm happy about it, lol, NOT.  It completely changed my outlook, and I went from living in a chair, confined by pain, to an active senior, ready to take on the world.  Now, I'm at the point of surgery and Cymbalta does not come in a form that is crushable or liquid.  I'm scared.  I don't want to feel the way I did "before".  Anyone else had this experience?  What have you done to keep the depression at bay following surgery?  How did you manage your pain following surgery?  (Not the pain from surgery, but perhaps pain from chronic conditions pre-op)  I would appreciate your answers, we learn so much from one another.

Walking with you on this journey, Mary
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Nannyre2U
on 6/3/09 5:54 am - Donaldsonville, LA
Mary,As of Jan 09, I am on NO medication.  Prior to my wls in 08, I was on blood pressure, blood sugar, asthma and depression (Cymbalta60mg.) along with oxygen at night filtered thru a C-Pap.  Today I am walking in FREEDOM!  Occasionally there is pain, but no where near the pain I walked in 7 months ago.  I am almost totally free from depression--it does rear it's ugly head here and there and in those times, I draw closer to You know Who and it fades.  Trust the journey.  Trust the timing.  And know this,  if there isa need in the future for your meds again, the doc will be able to get it into you. 
Big Hug your way,
  Marie

Never Give Up!  We win by losing!  Nannyre

cutepuppy
on 6/3/09 7:17 am - Manhattan Beach, CA
Awww Marie, now that is reassuring!!!  I'm so very happy for you my friend.  Youknowwho has been very busy with me lately.  I'm a handful lol.  Okay, I'll quite stressing and relax.  You are quite right.  The timing and all has always been orchestrated perfectly, as long as I don't interfere.  Blessings to you my friend.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

liveinphx
on 6/3/09 7:19 am - Phoenix, AZ
On June 3, 2009 at 12:08 PM Pacific Time, cutepuppy wrote:
I have to face up to it.  They are going to take away my Cymbalta.  After years and years of taking this or that tricyclic, finally Cymbalta came along and changed my whole outlook.  It was prescribed to me, in addition to Lyrica, by my rheumatologist.  What a difference!!!  Yes, I'm still in pain, but I'm happy about it, lol, NOT.  It completely changed my outlook, and I went from living in a chair, confined by pain, to an active senior, ready to take on the world.  Now, I'm at the point of surgery and Cymbalta does not come in a form that is crushable or liquid.  I'm scared.  I don't want to feel the way I did "before".  Anyone else had this experience?  What have you done to keep the depression at bay following surgery?  How did you manage your pain following surgery?  (Not the pain from surgery, but perhaps pain from chronic conditions pre-op)  I would appreciate your answers, we learn so much from one another.
I can understand why you are concerned. Once we find a medication that works it is scary as hell to think about giving it up.
I had the sleeve do my story is a bit different but I had no problems taking my meds (Effexor) even at the beginning.
You might want to see if if can't be "crushed" if you can use a pill cutter to cut it in to small enough pieces that you can take the pieces. Obviously this will not work if it is in capsule form.
I am not sure if the issue is you being able to swallow the medication or if it related that malabsorbtion related to the RNY.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
cutepuppy
on 6/3/09 10:11 am - Manhattan Beach, CA
Thanks for your understanding.  So many do not understand how important this is to me.  Obviously you do.  Unfortunately it cannot be crushed, its a capsule.  And, because it is timed release, it cannot be emptied out of the capsule and swallowed.  I'm pre-op, and during the immediate post op stage, my surgeon insists that I find a reasonable substitute for Cymbalta, fast in this case.  I'm really just airing my frustration, because I've looked under every rock and can find no substitute.  Again, many, many thanks for hearing me, that helps.  P.S.  I am having a VSG, but even so I am not allowed the Cymbalta.

Corgi Mom !.
on 6/3/09 9:56 am - sunny, FL
I take 60mg of Cymbalta once daily in the morning?
Corgi Mom
RNY
3/16/05
287/129  bmi 20.2 height  5'7"
Loss is good Maintanance is GREAT
Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly
cutepuppy
on 6/3/09 10:15 am - Manhattan Beach, CA
Yep, me too.  It's great.  I feel so good every day, not many ups and downs.  It also seems to work very well with the Lyrica for the fibromyalgia.  Issue is I'm pre-op, sugery very soon, and my surgeon insists I cannot have it because it is not crushable.  I'm just afraid of feeling bad again, especially with a big surgery staring me in the face.  But, as my dear friend reminded me, YOUKNOWWHO is in charge.  I keep stressing unnecessarily I fear.  Thank you so very much for your reply.  I can't tell you how much it means to have someone hear me when I'm stressing out.  Blessings to you.

Corgi Mom !.
on 6/4/09 8:15 pm - sunny, FL
No problem.  Be insistant.  Some things are so important.  It isn't crushable but it still works.  I took it right away post op because I had too.  My psych doc talked to my surgeon and advocated for me.  I advocated for myself.  I hope all goes well for you.  Blessings on your journey.  I will keep you in my prayers.
Corgi Mom
RNY
3/16/05
287/129  bmi 20.2 height  5'7"
Loss is good Maintanance is GREAT
Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly
cutepuppy
on 6/5/09 1:43 am - Manhattan Beach, CA
Thanks so much, can use prayers right now.  Anytime really, lol.  But, unfortunately, my doctor did not understand and took cymbalta away completely.  Completely.  This morning I'm sitting here thinking how did that happen?  I can't handle that on top of surgery.  Oh my.  I'll have to work this out, so prayers are quite welcome.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views