Need Antidepressant Med/ anti-anxiety med input

Shellye
on 5/31/09 11:59 am - IN

My 2 year anniversary was April 17th,  The good news is is that I am 50% of what I weighed at surgery- 287down to 144.  I also no longer have sleep apnea.  I look great.  Cholesteral is under 200.  Now for the bad news.....

However I am hypothyroid, low on iron and low on vitamin D.

I am also having MAJOR problems with anxiety and depression.  I am on meds and they are not helping.

I am on Pristiq 50 mg a day and was upped to 2 x a day May 10th.  Still not helping  Also taking Cytomel for throyoid (hypo) and klonipin but depression and anxiety bad enough that I am in evening IOP program for the next 3-6 weeks.

Anyone have experience-insite to antidepressant/ anti-anxiety meds 2 years out Roux en-Y?

Shel

mhiggins
on 6/2/09 5:13 am
I havent had my WLS yet but I know all about mental health. I suffer from severe depression and anx. I take 20mg of Lexapro which wasnt working til they added Abilify. I swear by Abilify!!! I suffered for so long with mental health, and Abilify finally saved me.
I had to start out reeeeeaaaalllly slow on it because it made me feel like jumping out of my chair! lol.
Hang in there it takes a long time to find the right med for you
piper
on 6/2/09 11:10 pm
Your Thyroid and iron and Vit D defeicencies alone can be causing your depression and anxiety. Do more research on the net for all of your medical issues. Also, sometimes you need to try other SSRI drugs to find the one right for you. I tried many and ended up going on a drug called Lamictal. It has helped me so much and not an SSRI drug. Lamictal is an anti seizure drug that is also used for depression and anxiety, also it helped me with migraines. NEVER go off your meds on your own. I had sever withdrawal going off the SSRI drugs, like Effexor. It was brutal. Worse than any time I withdrew from alcohol. You MUST wean off SSRI drugs like Pristiq. Tell your Dr. you'd like to try another med, that this is not helping you. Also are you postmenopausal or in menopause? You may need to have your hormone levels checked and ask for some help in that area, There are Bio Identical hormones that have helped many women and are all natural. You need to be the informed patient. No one cares more about your health than you.
Best of luck to you. Don't give up until you feel better!  
duncanbunch01
on 6/4/09 4:19 am

I am having a terrible time.
I had lap band surgery on March 11th.  I have noticed that I will fly into a rage for no, or little to no, reason.  I have never been like this.

I am on Wellbutrin 150 mg per day.

I don't know what is going on but am not liking who I can become at the drop of a hat.
Has this happened to anyone else? 

deannhuss
on 6/24/09 9:04 am - Pensacola, FL
I was like that a couple of weeks ago. For some reason I became very angry and would go into a rage for no reason. I was like that for about 2 weeks and then it stopped. I don't know what caused it but, what I do know is it was pure HELL for me and my family. I do know that you can get like that after coming off pain pills. Have you recently been taking pain pills from after your surgery? I hope you get well soon. I know how you feel...
JustLora
on 6/9/09 11:54 am - Omaha, NE
Depression can be caused by hyPOthyroidism. I believe my thyroid caused my depression.

Good Luck. My prayers are with you!

Lora
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views