Reflux/GERD

Donna H.
on 5/25/09 1:06 am

Hi to all my friends here on OH. I was banded last Tuesday, and I have a question. I have been on Nexium or Prevacid for years because of reflux/gerd. My doc told me that it was possible that I wouldnt need that medication anymore after this surgery, but i feel like all the time that what i have eaten or drank is backed up now, and i am only on the liquid part of post op.  i didnt have any of my medications for 4 or 5 days but have started them back. Has anybody else had that problem? would love to hear, it scares me a bit, especially since i really dont know what to expect.

Thx
Donna

Donna H
Patricia R.
on 5/25/09 2:53 am - Perry, MI
I had GERD/reflux prior to my surgery.  I understand that feeling like things are backing up.  Are you sipping your liquids, or gulping them?  Try to slow down your time it takes you to drink your liquids and see if that helps.  I say this from experience...as I am a chronic gulper. 

If your discomfort continues, call the doctor and check with him/her.  They are the experts.

Welcome to the Losers' Bench.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Lindsey C.
on 5/25/09 2:58 am
Hey Donna,

Are you taking pills or crushing your meds? 

I know every dr. is different but I am not to have any whole pills until 6 weeks post op.  I'm on the chewable pepcid 2x a day for my GERD and it's really helping.

Maybe try taking your meds with warm liquid.  I've heard that helps to get them down. 

Highest Weight/1st Consult WeightSurgery Weight/Current Weight/Goal Weight
327                          322                         308.5                        198.5        165  
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views