60 days of sobriety

piper
on 6/2/09 10:20 am
Just curious about what happened to you on Topomax?
Kathy
on 6/2/09 11:27 pm - Hamilton, NJ
I was insane.  At first it really worked controlling my migraines.  I get them several times a week.  I have just started menopause, and because I like to do things the difficult way, I get migraines instead of night sweats and hot flashes.  Anyway, after about a week, I was unbelieveably thirsty.  Then I was totally disoriented.  I forgot how to get home - after working at a job for 17 years!!!!  I forgot just about everything.  Made crazy mistakes at work.  Basically couldn't even remember to take a shower!  When I got lost coming home, I said forget this and stopped cold turkey - don't do that either.  I did, however, lose 34 pounds in 6 weeks but at the cost of my job - I'm not so sure it was worth it!!!!  Kathy
natalie1975
on 6/6/09 7:41 pm - Yardley, PA
Trish,

That is absolutely wonderfull. congrads!! 60 days is a long time and with many substance problems, including medication and alcohol and food abuse, the first couple of months are the toughest as far as getting rid of the old habits.

I was on and off this board for a while when i wasconcernec that my drinking was getting out of contol andbeyond what was healthy/social. As some of you may remember, it culminated in a long and rambling post a few months ago where i decribed in not so plesant datail how i ended up binge-drnking for 3 days in a row in mid february and ended up suffering through almost a week of extremely uncomfortable alcohol withdrawal symptoms.

I am still embasarred about letting myself be so stupid and careless but have to say that since then i have completely stopped self-destructive/excessive drinking...i guess it was a very scary wake-up call as to how irresponsible i was.

my case is a little diferent in that i never went to A.A. etc. because my personal philosophy/approach to dealing with my own past drinking problem was somewhat different from theirs in that my goal was not to comepletly and pemanently abstain from wine, champagne, etc. unless medically necessary for some reason but, rather, to fast re-learn the golden rule that moderation is the key before i did real damage to my body. i have to say that the first couple of months i still had to resist an occasional urge to drink in excess as a means of emotional escape but now, a few months later, i am much happier and healthier having gotten rid of alcoholic-like tendencies and not having to worry about the consequences of alcohol abuse so the effort was more than worth it.

as a disclaimer, i do still happily and occasionally indulge in an occasional glass of wine or a ****tail socially (i know that many on this board would disagree with that and recommend total abtinence,etc.) but, the bottom line is, despite different approaches, our goal has always been to not have alcohol be a negative factor/problem/addiction andi am very happy to report that i feel much happier and healthier since i put excessive drinking issue behind me and that i am very glad that i finally came to my senses about drowning my problems in booze. whether complete absinence or moderation is your goal, it is achievable and the result is worth it.

again,congrads on two months-in my experience fighting old bad habits gets much easier as the time passes. you've been a strong and supportive influence to people on this board and i am confident that you will be sucessfull in maintaining your goals.

hugs, Nat

ejjy
on 6/9/09 7:22 am - Watertown, MA
ya know even in the AA literature it says if you can find a way to drink moderately, "our hats are off to you."  So if you've been successful at that, good for you!  the name of the game is finding a solution for our problems, eh? it sounds like you've solved yours.

i went the route of abstinence and AA, and it was the right choice for me, and one i have never, ever regretted.  but dogmatism has always sent me running in the opposite direction!  and i think most people are like that!  funny how perverse human nature is - what we can't stand, we still do to others.  crazy.

RNY 6/16/09 - Last weighed 10/27/2011 weighed 151 lost 52 pounds  66% toward personal goal  of 125, six pounds from unofficial unpretentious goal of 145lbs......basically very happy.   boo-rah, RNY!

Leslie C.
on 6/7/09 10:06 pm - Kenner, LA
Congratulations Trish!! 

I have been sober for 3 years, 8 months, 3 days....sorry could't help myself. I have been looking for alcoholics for a week now, not thinking to go to the mental health board. I know I am not well!! LOL>

Keep going Trish!!   I am sure everyone with addictions will support you.
Leslie

a person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it

HW 274/pre-op 266/NW210/GW160 5' 8"

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety