Weaning off of Wellbutrin XL 150 mg

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/09 1:43 am, edited 1/25/10 4:22 am

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Patricia R.
on 5/14/09 1:22 pm - Perry, MI
I was on Wellbutrin for a few years a long time ago, and I was weaned off to start a new med.  I don't remember any specific issues.  The best person to discuss side effects with would be a psychiatrist.  They are the experts on these meds.  You could also Google the med, and usually websites discussing that.

Good luck.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/09 5:10 am
greencougar
on 5/19/09 8:29 am, edited 5/19/09 8:29 am - MN
I've been on Wellbutrin and Prozac for 12 years. Last year I just HAD to try weaning off of both, one at a time, of course. My prescribing therapist advised me to take B12, Omega 3, and a bunch of other vitamins I don't remember but the B12, & Omega 3 were the most critical.

My first problem was that I was spending more time and money taking the vitamins than the meds. I still try to keep up with the B12, & Omega 3, and a multivitamin but after a hellish year went back to the meds.

The second problem was the subjective nature of my symptoms clouded my ability to gage whether or not the weaning was successful. It was not. That's just me, but DH was very well aware of the risks and what to look for. Twice he tried to get me to see the therapist and twice I broke the appointment. I railed against him thinking he was one of those men who don't understand women and/or depression and every time we had an argument it was all too convenient to blame the meds-which pissed me off even more.

The third problem was a real eye opener. I had PHYSICAL symptoms: sensitive skin, swelling ankles, all over aches and pains that were debilitating, really. I blamed my weight (BMI 40) and saw my Primary who suggested an antihistamine, which got me to thinking about the WB and Prozac again...she wrote the script and all I can say is bless her heart.

The thing is that I was watchful for the old symptoms of anxiety and foggy headedness to return but my symptoms had merely morphed into other forms when I went off the meds! Of course if you've heard it once you've heard it a thousand times: Everyone is different and psychotropic drugs are as much an art as they are a science. This is just my story so I thought I'd share.

One more quick thot: Wellbutrin is sometimes prescribed to provide relief from addictions such as food, smoking, etc and associated with weight loss.

PS While it took another full nine months to fully recover from my hiatus, the aches and pains dissapeared within weeks.  So much for depression being all in my head!

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views